The absolute ultimate comfort food, and it can’t get any better than this Easy One Pot Creamy Mac and Cheese. I have tried many mac and cheese recipes, some end up dry and bland no matter how much of seasoning I use and others too mushy. So this is my favourite, ticking all the boxes for perfect mac and cheese ……
- Never dry
- It is full of flavour and never bland
- Never ever mushy and
- The sauce is perfectly smooth, glossy and creamy, although there is not a drop of cream added to this recipe
The reason, this mac and cheese is so good is that the macaroni is boiled in a mixture of milk and water, not just water, and it is not drained after cooking. As it boils, it releases the starch into the milk and water. So the starch helps to thicken the sauce creating the perfect creamy bechamel sauce which perfectly coats the macaroni.
This recipe is really quick to prepare, so this is a great one for when you get home late from work or just not in the mood of cooking a meal which takes an hour to prepare and an hour of cooking time. I mean this Easy One Pot Creamy Mac and Cheese is just that Easy, Quick, taking under half an hour to prepare and cook, and makes a delicious hearty lunch or dinner.
Making the Easy One Pot Creamy Mac and Cheese
The pasta is cooked in the sauce for about 10 minutes. Remember that you have to stir it every few minutes to ensure that the pasta does not stick to the bottom of the pot. When the pasta is almost done, tender but still firm, remove it from the heat and stir in your grated cheese. At this stage, the sauce containing the pasta should not be too thick.
The pasta will continue cooking and the sauce will continue thickening when it is removed off the stove. Try to serve immediately after cooking. However, I have found that even after an hour after cooking, it is still really delicious, the sauce may have almost completely absorbed into the macaroni but it still has this smooth silky texture and taste to it.
So try out this recipe next time you are in the mac and cheese mood, the perfect easy weekday dinner!
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out my other amazing pasta recipes
Still hungry for more?
Easy One Pot Creamy Mac and Cheese
- 3 Tablespoons / 24g all purpose / cake flour
- 3 Tablespoons / 42g butter
- 2 cups / 500ml milk
- 2½ cups / 625ml water
- 2 cups / 125g uncooked macaroni
- 2 cups / 225g grated cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by melting butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add flour. If you are using onion and mustard powder, then add it now and cook for 1 minute.
- Add milk and mix into butter and flour mixture and stir until it starts to thicken slightly.
- Pour in the water and add salt and pepper.
- Stir in the macaroni and mix. Stir as it starts to bubble and turn down the heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes until tender but firm. Remember that the macaroni continues cooking and the sauce thickens even after it has been removed from the stove.
- Remove from the stove and mix in the grated cheese.
- Garnish with chopped chives or parsley if you like.
- Serve immediately.