Made in under 30 minutes, this One Pot Tomato and Spinach Pasta can easily become your new weekday favourite dinner.
One-Pot Tomato and Spinach Pasta
Besides this one-pot tomato and spinach pasta being a winner in the delicious department, it is also super easy and quick to prepare.
Made in under 30 minutes and in just ONE POT makes it a winner in the ‘fast food’ department in my home too.
The great thing about this dish is that the pasta is not boiled separately.
Rather it is boiled and cooked with the sauce. This allows the pasta to absorb all the delicious flavour of the sauce and creates a creamy texture.
You know that most pasta needs to be served immediately after cooking. Well, this is actually the only pasta dish that I can make in advance and does not dry out.
Overview: How to make one-pot tomato and spinach pasta
In this recipe, I use a can of tomatoes and chopped or halved baby tomatoes. Baby tomatoes are one of my favorite to use in pasta dishes. I find them sweeter and less acidic compared to the larger tomatoes.
With the canned tomatoes and chopped baby tomatoes cooking for about 2 minutes, the milk and cream are added to create the sauce. Straight after goes in the uncooked pasta.
Cooked altogether the pasta absorbs all the delicious flavor of the tomatoes and sauce. 5 minutes into the cooking time I add in the chopped spinach.
A great substitution for spinach is kale or rainbow Swiss chard. The red, green, and yellow stems add beautiful color to this dish. So use whichever you prefer.
With the spinach added, It is cooked for about 5 more minutes and then removed from the heat.
The pasta will be cooked but still firm when you bite into it.
I leave it covered in the pot on the kitchen counter and as it absorbs the sauce it continues to soften. Just follow the instructions for the cooking time on the box and follow it in this recipe.
Although in this recipe you are not going to be boiling the pasta separately as most instructions on boxes suggest, so just use this as a guide on how long to cook it with the sauce.
Quick easy delicious and best of all One pot…what’s not to love about this dinner right.?
One Pot Tomato and Spinach Pasta
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion chopped about ¼ cup
- 1 small green bell pepper chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 can / 410g / 14 oz chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup / 150g baby /cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon / 5 ml cayenne pepper or chilli powder adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 2½ cup / 625 ml milk
- ½ cup / 125ml heavy / pouring / fresh cream
- 4 cups / 250g uncooked pasta any shape. I used spiral pasta
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat about 1 Tablespoon (15ml) of oil in a large pot and sauté the onion for about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and pepper and cook for one more minute.
- Add canned tomatoes,baby tomatoes, cayenne pepper,and mixed herbs and cook for two minutes.
- Pour in the milk, cream and pasta and stir occasionally to ensure that the pasta does not stick together. Season with salt to taste. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped spinach and cook for a further 5 to 8 minutes until the pasta is cooked but still firm. SEE NOTE 1
- Remove from the heat and set aside, As the pasta will continue to absorb more of the sauce, it will also continue to soften.
- Serve with freshly ground black pepper and grated parmesan if preferred.