Looking for something quick, easy and delicious for a weeknight dinner? Then how about this recipe for 20 Minute Creamy Mushroom Pasta. Perfect right?
Don’t you just love pasta? It is so versatile and easy to add different ingredients and flavour and it tastes so good. Because of these advantages, it has become a great dinner choice and the Creamy mushroom pasta has become a great family favourite.
MAKING THE 20 MINUTE CREAMY MUSHROOM PASTA
WHAT TYPE OF MUSHROOMS TO USE
I usually use the brown portobello mushrooms in this recipe because I find that they do not shrink, compared to the white button mushrooms. But you can use it if you prefer, just let the pieces be a little thicker when you are chopping it up.
The chopped mushrooms are cooked in a little butter or margarine with bell peppers and garlic and a sprinkling of dried of fresh thyme. I love using thyme in mushrooms. Have you tried it? It gives it such an amazing taste.
The cream is then added and cooked with the mushrooms for about 8 to 10 minutes. You will see the cream reducing as the mushrooms take on a caramelized look. Don’t let it reduce too much because this also serves as a bit of a sauce to your pasta. If this does happen, then just add a bit more cream.
While the mushrooms and sauce are cooking, you can put your pasta on the stove to cook. Here in this recipe, I am using fettuccine, and you can use any pasta you prefer. I have made this recipe using spaghetti and the spiral macaroni, and it turns out just perfect.
Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet. It usually takes 5 to 8 minutes to cook, so it should be ready by the time the mushrooms are cooked. Drain out the water from the cooked pasta and mix in the cooked mushrooms and cream.
Pasta dishes always are best served immediately so avoid making this dish in advance, the pasta will absorb too much of the sauce and will dry up making it less appetizing compared to that of being served immediately.
So the next time you need a quick dinner fix…here you have it…easy quick and sooooo delicious.
20 Minute Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- 5 cups / 400g sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup / 90g diced red bell pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried of fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried red chilli flakes optional
- 1 Tablespoon / 14g butter or margarine
- 1 cup / 250 ml heavy / thickened / fresh cream
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 5 oz / 150g Pasta ( fettuccine/ spaghetti or macaroni
- Melt butter or margarine in a pan on medium heat. Add mushrooms, bell pepper,thyme,and chilli flakes if using. Cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add cream and cook until slightly reduced and thickened, about 5 minutes. (See note 1 )
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, boil the pasta according to the instructions on the packet.
- Drain out the cooked pasta in a colander and mix in the cooked mushrooms and cream.
- Grate a bit of Parmesan if you like and serve immediately (See note 2)