These 3 ingredient Butter Cookies is absolute melt in your mouth deliciousness. It is super easy to make and has an irresistibly rich buttery flavour and a light crisp texture.
It is amazing how just 3 ingredients can create such a delicious bake. This incredibly versatile recipe makes a great treat any day of the week. Made using butter, flour and sugar, these addictive cookies are one of my favourite quick and easy bakes.
BUTTER: For the best texture and flavour, it is best that you use butter instead of margarine. Using butter creates a richer tasting bake. The butter should soft, but not melted. Take the butter out of the fridge at least an hour before baking.
SUGAR: White granulated sugar is used for these cookies.
FLOUR: I use cake flour for this recipe. However, if you are unable to get cake flour in the country in which you live, then you can go ahead and use all-purpose flour.
Tips to create the perfect butter cookies
- Cream the butter and sugar well. It should be beaten with an electric mixer for about 5 minutes. The mixture should have a pale, fluffy appearance after beating. Creaming the mixture helps to aerate the dough. This creates a lighter and crisp baked cookie. If the mixture is not well creamed, the cookies will be heavy and dense.
- The dough will be soft after it has been combined. It needs to be refrigerated for about 30 minutes before cutting into shapes. Refrigerating the dough firms it up and makes it easier to cut and shape. Dust the cutters with flour to create neat shapes.
- Bake the cookies until just golden brown and lightly browned around the edges. Once the cookies are done baking, remove it from the oven, but allow to cool on the baking sheet
Add different flavours to your bake
This is such a versatile recipe, making it easy to add your favourite flavours and decoration.
- Use any flavouring and extracts you love. How about giving orange, lemon or rosemary extract a try.
- Dip in or drizzle melted white and milk chocolate over the baked cookies
- Decorate the baked cookies with beautiful patterns using piped royal icing or a thick glace
Making the 3 ingredient butter cookies
These cookies couldn't be easier to whip up. Easy and quick, it is mixed in one bowl.
Beat the butter and sugar for about 3 to 5 minutes until pale, light and fluffy.
Sift the flour into the beaten butter mixture and mix gently to combine forming a soft dough.
Wrap the dough in clear wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Remove from the refrigerator and turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out and cut into any shape you prefer.
Place the cutout shapes onto a baking sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes in a preheated oven of 320°F ( 160°C) until golden brown.
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out my other amazing cookie and slice recipes
Still hungry for more?