Have I got an amazing recipe for you today, a Spicy Roasted Chickpea Shawarma, makes the perfect weekday lunch or light dinner recipe. Made in under 30 minutes and served with a salad and a light yoghurt sauce makes this an irresistible meal
I did promise you an awesome filling recipe to go with those soft and delicious Greek pita flatbreads recipe which I shared on Monday.
And here it is, spicy roasted chickpeas folded in these flatbreads. The versatility and use of these flatbreads are endless, but let’s start with the one with absolute simplicity yet so full of flavour, Spicy Roasted chickpea Shawarma
Spicy Roasted Chickpea Shawarma
Chickpeas also referred to as garbanzo beans are a truly amazing little legume. Full of that nutty flavour they also come with a whole lot of great nutritional benefits.
Being a rich source of various nutrients including plant-based protein, dietary fibre, vitamins and minerals makes chickpeas a powerhouse of benefits
A really simple, yet flavorful recipe to prepare Spicy Roasted chickpea Shawarma makes a great vegetarian option. What I really love about this recipe is that it makes a quick and easy weekday dinner.
I always make extra Greek pita flatbreads and freeze some of them to use in recipes like this one. It creates a convenient dinner or lunch idea.
How to make Spicy Roasted Chickpea Shawarma
Roast the chickpeas
In this recipe, I use canned chickpeas. The liquid is drained out and the chickpeas rinsed under cold water. Then just pat it dry with some paper towels. Drying it ensures that the ingredients which you are about to add will adhere to it well.
The rinsed and dried chickpeas are then tossed with a bit of oil and spices.
I used a combination of chilli powder (you can use paprika or cayenne pepper if you prefer), ground cumin, salt and a few dried chilli flakes. You can add some garlic and onion powder as well, but that is totally optional.
It is then placed on a baking sheet and roasted for about 20 minutes. If you do not want to use the oven then roasting the seasoned chickpeas on a pan for 20 minutes on the stovetop will work out just as perfectly.
If you are using the stovetop just make sure that you stir the chickpeas occasionally to prevent burning. Roast until it is slightly crispy and remove from the oven or stove.
Make the yogurt
The yogurt sauce is made up of blended plain yogurt, cucumber, garlic, lemon juice and black pepper. Avoid over blending which causes it to be runny, you want the mixture to be thick.
Fill the flatbreads
Warm the flatbreads in the microwave for a few seconds, top with about 3 tablespoons of roasted chickpeas and yogurt sauce. The amounts of chickpeas you use will depend on the size of the flatbreads. Serve with sliced onion and tomato as well if you prefer.
So here you have it the perfect weekday lunch or weeknight dinner, easy and delicious.
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out my other amazing bread recipes
Still hungry for more?
Spicy Roasted chickpea Shawarma
Spicy Roasted chickpeas
- 1½ cups (425g) canned chickpeas, drained
- 1 Tablespoon / 15ml canola or sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder / paprika / cayenne pepper adjust amount to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE YOGHURT SAUCE
- ½ cucumber chopped
- ½ cup / 125ml plain or Greek yogurt
- ½ clove garlic crushed
- 1 ½ teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt and black pepper adjust amount to taste
To make the Spicy roasted chickpeas
- Preheat oven to 180 °C / 350 F
- In a bowl, toss rinsed and dried chickpeas together with the oil and spices and spread on baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes or until slightly crispy and remove from the oven.
- If you are roasting the chickpeas on the stovetop, then place rinsed and dried chickpeas together with the oil and spices in a pan and roast on medium heat for 20 minutes until crispy. Stir the chickpeas occasionally to prevent burning. Roast until it is slightly crispy and remove from the stove.
TO MAKE THE YOGHURT SAUCE
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend for about half a minute. Avoid blending for too long otherwise the mixture becomes too runny
ASSEMBLE THE FLATBREADS (SEE NOTE 1)
- Warm the flatbreads in the microwave for a few seconds, top with about 3 tablespoons of roasted chickpeas and yoghurt sauce. The amounts of chickpeas you use will depend on the size of the flatbreads. Serve with sliced onion and tomato as well if you prefer.