Prepared and baked in under 30 minutes, my recipe for Quick Mayonnaise Bread is super easy to make. Using just 4 basic ingredients to create a soft and fluffy bake, it makes the perfect accompaniment with your favourite meal.
This recipe does not require yeast, so there is no kneading or rising time. Just mix, scoop into the baking pan, and bake.
Quick Mayonnaise Bread – (Just 4 ingredients-no yeast)
This is really one of my favourite quick bread bakes. Besides it being budget-friendly, it is so easy to put together after a busy day. All the ingredients are simply mixed together in one bowl, scooped into your preferred baking pan, and baked.
What I love about this bread is its versatility. It can be baked in any pan you prefer. Bake a delicious batch in a muffin pan to enjoy for breakfast or in a loaf pan for the dinner table.
By the way, I used an egg-free mayonnaise in this recipe and it worked just as well as using mayonnaise containing egg. So use what you have and you will still end up with bakery-style deliciousness.
These ingredients create the magic
While the full recipe is written below, this is the section to read if you’re wondering about ingredient substitutions or how these ingredients work in the recipe.
This bread consists of just 4 basic ingredients.
Self-rising/raising flour: This ensures a well-risen bread. If you do not have self-raising flour, then make your own by adding 2 teaspoons of baking powder to 2 cups (240 g) of cake flour or all-purpose flour. Whisk the baking powder well into the cake flour or all-purpose flour to ensure that it is properly incorporated.
Mayonnaise: Using an egg-free mayonnaise in this recipe works just as well as using mayonnaise containing egg.
Milk: Full fat milk is best to achieve a rich, soft bake.
Salt: Simply used to enhance the flavour.
Which pan to use
This dough is more like a thick dropping batter-like consistency. It works well in any type of pan.
Keep in mind that baking times will vary slightly according to the pan you decide to use. Here is an approximate guide for the baking time when using the pans you prefer.
- Muffin pan – 10 to 15 minutes
- 9×5 inch ( 23×13 cm) loaf pan – 20 to 25 minutes
- Mini loaf pan – 15 to 20 minutes
Topping and Filling suggestions
The choice of topping and filling which you can use in this recipe is absolutely endless. Here are a few of my favourites. Give it a try if you like or use whichever you prefer.
- Stir in some grated cheese and chopped baby spinach into the mix before baking.
- Add a bit of spice and colour by adding in chopped jalapenos or sweet pepper and dried chillies flakes.
- Chopped olives add amazing flavour and texture.
- Brush with garlic or herb butter after baking
- Top with seeds like sesame. poppy or chia before baking.
Tips for a successful bake
The ingredients in this recipe can easily be doubled for a large loaf or a double batch of muffins.
Avoid overmixing the batter. Mix until just combined. Overmixing is going to result in a dense, heavy textured bread.
Fill the pan with the batter up to ¾ full. This ensures a well risen, domed bake.
Test if the bread is baked by inserting a skewer into the centre of the bread. The skewer should not have any batter clinging to it when removed.
This bread is best eaten on the same day it has been baked. If you do have any leftovers, then store in an airtight container for up to 1 day. To reheat and soften, just pop it into the microwave for a few seconds.
How to make Quick Mayonnaise Bread
While the full recipe is written below, this is the process with step-by-step pictures to help guide you.
Make the batter: Combine all 4 ingredients together in one bowl.
Scoop the batter into baking tins: Use a spoon to scoop equal amounts of batter into a greased and lined muffin or mini loaf pans. Gently use the back of a spoon to level out the batter. Top with seeds or grated cheese if using.
Bake: Bake in a preheated oven of 320°F (160°C) for 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven and serve as you prefer.
My preferred method is serving it to myself, straight out of the oven, sliced and slathered with butter. But hey don’t judge me, bake these for yourself and see if you can resist 😉
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out my other amazing recipes
Still hungry for more?
- 2 cups/250 g self-raising flour SEE NOTE 1
- 4 Tablespoons / 57g mayonnaise SEE NOTE 2
- 1 cup / 250ml milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
Preheat the oven to 320°F / 160℃
Use a large bowl to whisk together the flour and salt
Stir in the milk and mayonnaise.
Mix until just combined SEE NOTE 3
Grease and line 8 mini loaf pans with parchment paper. SEE NOTE 4 for time guidelines when using a different type of pan.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and serve as preferred
- If you do not have self-raising flour, then make your own by adding 2 teaspoons of baking powder to 2 cups (240 g) of cake flour or all-purpose flour. Whisk the baking powder well into the cake flour or all-purpose flour to ensure that it is properly incorporated.
- I used an egg-free mayonnaise in this recipe and it worked just as well as using mayonnaise containing egg. So use what you have and you will still end up with bakery-style deliciousness.
- Avoid overmixing the batter. Mix until just combined. Overmixing is going to result in a dense, heavy textured bread
- Keep in mind that baking times will vary slightly according to the pan you decide to use. Here is an approximate guide for the baking time when using the pans you prefer.
Muffin pan - 10 to 15 minutes
9x5 inch ( 23x13 cm) loaf pan - 20 to 25 minutes
Mini loaf pan - 15 to 20 minutes