These Stovetop Custard Cream Buns make a great breakfast treat or snack. Sweet custard wrapped in a soft milk bun, easy to make and so delicious.
I really love baking my own bread. From the kneading to the baking and the best part, the delicious smell and taste of homemade bread. It is like comfort baking and comfort food in one. Made using basic ingredients to create an incredible flavour.
Although this custard cream buns are not baked in the oven, cooking them on the stovetop still fills your home with that aroma of homemade bread goodness.
These buns are not overly sweet, making them such a great snack or lunch box treat. To make it a bit of a sweeter treat, just sift a bit of powdered sugar over the cooked buns.
This is an egg-free recipe because the filling is made using store bought or homemade custard powder.
Custard powder is super easy to make and I have a great recipe right here for 3-ingredient Custard Powder (egg free, gluten free)
If you prefer to use your egg custard recipe, then that too can replace this filling.
Making the stovetop custard buns
Start by making the dough. Using a large bowl, combine the instant dry yeast, sugar, salt and flour.
Mix the warm water, milk and oil in a saucepan or measuring jug and add it to the flour mixture.
Knead for 5 minutes until it forms a smooth dough.
Cover and leave to rise for an hour in a warm, draft-free area of your kitchen.
Making the custard
You have 3 options regarding the type of custard that can used as a filling
- Try my easy homemade 3-ingredient custard powder (egg free, gluten-free) Easy to make and super convenient too. The powder mixes easily with milk, forming a rich and silky custard. This makes it perfect for filling in pastries, cream puffs, tarts, Stovetop Custard Cream Buns, or donuts.
- Store-bought custard powder: Depending on the brand you get, which may or may not contain eggs. Mix according to package instructions.
- Egg based custard powder: Use your favourite egg based custard powder recipe
Fill and cook
- After the dough has risen, punch it down and knead for 3 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. roll out each piece into a circle. Place a teaspoon of the cooled custard on half of the circle and fold the other half over to cover. Press and seal the edges well and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick pan on low heat. If you do not have a non-stick pan, then just cut baking paper/ parchment paper to fit the shape of your pan.
- Brush with a little oil and gently place the custard cream buns into the pan.
- Cook on low heat for 10 minutes then flip it over and cook the other side for 5 minutes.
- When cooked remove from the pan, and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving. Dust with powdered sugar/ icing sugar if preferred.