Fill your home with the delicious aroma of this Spiced Orange and Honey Loaf Cake. Bursting with a combination of tangy citrus, sweet honey and mixed spices this has truly become one of my favorite loaf cakes.
Loaf cakes are fast becoming my number one choice of bakes ( so get ready to be bombarded by many more loaf cake recipes coming soon☺..) It makes great breakfast food or just an afternoon snack with coffee.Perfect for picnics and school bakes too. Loaf cakes are easier to slice into neat equal slices making it the perfect lunchbox treat. What I really love though, is the simplicity of this type of cake. Dusted with powdered sugar or just drizzled with a bit of frosting makes it look and taste so good.
Now this Spiced Orange and Honey Loaf has me head over heels in love with it. From its beautiful warm orange and golden honey colour to its amazing flavor,this loaf barely lasts a day in my home. Tempted by the delicious aroma wafting through your home, you too will be waiting impatiently for it to be baked. There are 3 bold flavours in this loaf, orange,honey and the mixed spices. Together they form an amazing combination of flavours. When grating the rind for the cake, make sure that it is just the orange bits of rind and avoid grating into the white of the peel. The whiter parts of the peel are a bit more bitter and you want to avoid adding this into the mixture. Don't be shy when using the mixed spices, sometimes I actually use a bit more ... about a teaspoon more than what the recipe calls for….I like the spicy cinnamon taste...but use to your preference. This loaf takes about 45 to 50 minutes to bake and depending on your oven, the top of the loaf may just brown and darken faster before it is completely baked. To avoid this, I just cover the loaf lightly with foil and remove it about 20 minutes before the end of the baking time. The loaf is baked when a skewer or toothpick inserted comes out clean...that is without any batter clinging to it. Then simply remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with icing sugar or drizzle with glacé icing before serving.
Easy and quick to prepare, this is no ordinary loaf when it comes to its exceptional flavour. No exaggeration here...try it for yourself and let me know what think
Spiced Orange and Honey Loaf Cake
- 1½ cup (180g ) cake flour
- ½ teaspoon ( 2g ) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ( 2½ g) salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice / All spice
- ½ cup ( 125ml ) oil (canola or sunflower)
- 1 ( 200g ) cup granulated white sugar
- ¼ cup (85g) honey
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla essence / extract
- Zest of an orange
- 4 Tablespoons /¼ cup (60 ml) freshly squeezed orange juice freshly squeezed orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 325°F ( 160°C).
- Prepare a 8½ inch x 4½ inch( 20cmx10cm) loaf pan by spraying with baking spray or line with baking paper.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and spices.
- In a separate bowl,combine oil, sugar and honey and beat for about 1 minute. Add eggs one at a time and beat on low. Add vanilla, zest, orange juice and mix on low, until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and beat on low-speed until combined.
- Pour the batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean. See note 1
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack for 15 minutes. Turn out the cake on cooling rack to cool completely.
- Dust with sifted confectioners sugar ( icing sugar / powdered sugar ) if preferred.