I have no other way to describe this Pasta with Caramelized Mushroom Sauce, other than truly delectable. The cream adds an absolutely silky texture and taste to the pasta, and is one of our favourite. You are really going to be amazed at how outrageously simple this dish is to prepare yet how flavourful it is.I always found mushrooms to be a perfect addition to any pasta dish, but adding cream to it puts it on a whole new level of deliciousness. I love adding spice and chilli to my food, so this recipe is no different. But fell free to leave out the spiciness if you prefer, this dish will still turn out perfect.
Try using brown or Portobello mushrooms for your pasta dishes. They really carry more flavour compared to the white button mushrooms. I also find that the brown or Portobello mushrooms seem to keep their shape and don"t shrink down as much as the white button mushrooms. The herb which I use to give this pasta such a unique taste is thyme. It really tastes great with the mushrooms and cream.
By the way did you know that certain shapes of pasta work better with different sauces. Forgive me if you knew that, but this was really news to me from a friend of mine who is a chef.
This is what she told me. Shell type pasta, like the one I have used here pair well with cream and meat sauces. The tubes like penne, rigatoni and macaroni are best used with baked dishes with cheese and vegetable sauces. And sauces like pesto cling on to twist type pasta such as fusilli. Really !!! I had no idea. Why don't you give a try with these different pastas with the sauce you make and see how it works for you.
So this is a great dish, a perfect dinner, easy and quick to prepare and with sooooo much of flavour, I am sure that you will love it too.
Pasta with Caramelized Mushroom Sauce
FOR THE MUSHROOM SAUCE
- 400 g roughly chopped mushrooms
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 sliced chilli.
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme or two sprigs of fresh thyme.
- ¼ teaspoon of peri peri
- 5 ml of soy sauce
- 15 ml barbeque sauce
- 250 ml of cream.
- 15 ml butter or margarine
- salt to taste
- 400 g pasta cooked
- salt to taste
- Start by cooking the mushrooms first. Dice the onion.
- Fry the onions on medium heat in a Tablespoon of butter or margarine.
- Add crushed garlic, and sliced chilli. Fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add dried thyme or two sprigs of fresh thyme.
- Cook for a minute, stirring so that the thyme does not burn.
- Add roughly chopped brown mushrooms, and a ¼ teaspoon of peri peri and cook for 5 minutes.
- Put in soy sauce, barbeque sauce and cream.
- Cook for 10 minutes until the cream has reduced and the sauce has a caramelized appearance.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, fill a large pot with water and bring to the boil.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook uncovered for 8 to 10 minutes until the pasta is tender but still firm.
- Drain out the water from the pasta and stir the pasta into the cooked and reduced mushroom and cream sauce. Make sure that all of the pasta is coated in the creamy sauce.
- To serve, add grated cheese or garnish it with chives and freshly ground black pepper or cayenne pepper.