Start your day right with a High Protein Breakfast Burrito. High in fibre and protein, these burritos make a great breakfast to help sustain you through the morning.
With crazy busy days and mornings, don’t you sometimes find yourself skipping breakfast, I know that I do and then I just snack on cookies or anything quick from the fridge, and I know that it is a terrible habit to get into. So to stop it before it gets any worse, I decided to look into breakfast ideas which can be prepared ahead and kept in the freezer until needed. And seriously, this is one of my favourite recipes.
What I really love most about these burritos is that it can be prepared ahead and stored in the freezer. Then when you are ready to eat it, just pop it into the microwave for a few minutes and you have a perfect breakfast. These are great with just about any veggie filling but this recipe is actually my favourite combination. All the flavours and ingredients go so well together.
Sweet potato, Black beans, eggs and sweet bell peppers make up the main filling in this burrito. The rest is the seasoning, like cumin and chili powder. But this is a basic recipe, so feel free to add other seasoning or vegetables which you prefer into your burrito.
Easy to prepare, the onions are cooked in a pan until soft and the bell pepper and sweet potato and seasoning is added and cooked until tender. The canned black beans is just stirred in and cooked for about 2 minutes. You don’t want the beans to get too soft and mushy. Then scramble 4 eggs and keep aside. The tortillas are then filled with the sweet potato and bean mixture and topped with the scrambled egg. Add some crumbled feta or cream cheese for variation if you prefer. Fold the mixture into the tortilla and grill on a pan or serve as is.
If you are planning to freeze the prepared burritos, then allow it to cool completely and wrap it tightly in aluminum foil and freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat the frozen burrito, remove the aluminum foil, wrap it in paper towel and warm in the microwave for about 2 minutes. Served with lettuce and cherry tomatoes, this makes one delicious and wholesome breakfast.
So try this convenient recipe for High Protein Breakfast Burrito and never skip breakfast again.
High Protein Breakfast Burrito
- 1 onion diced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder or peri peri
- 1 bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 can 15 oz/470 g black beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large tortillas
- feta optional
- cream or cottage cheese optional
- Heat about 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté until it begins to soften.
- Add the cumin and chili or peri peri powder and stir in for about 30 seconds.
- Toss in the bell pepper and sweet potato and cook until tender which should be about 10 minutes Stir in the black beans and cook for 2 minutes Do not overcook as the beans will get too soft and mushy.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat lightly with a whisk.
- Heat about a teaspoon of oil and add the beaten eggs, season with salt and pepper, and scramble until cooked.
- Place the tortillas on a plate and fill with the sweet potato mixture and the scrambled eggs.
- Crumble feta or spread on cream cheese if using.
- Gently roll up the burrito, tucking in the ends tightly. Grill on a warm pan and serve warm
- Or cool completely, tightly wrap in aluminum foil, and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To reheat the frozen burrito, remove the aluminum foil, wrap it in paper towel and warm in the microwave for about 2 minutes.