If there is ever that perfect combination of vegetables, you will find it here stacked in a Grilled Vegetable Baguette. Packed full of Mediterranean flavour, this makes a scrumptious open sandwich.
There are basically just three types of vegetables used in this recipe, eggplant, zucchini, and sweet red and green bell peppers. A lot of the flavour comes from the seasoned oil which is used to brush or rub on to the vegetables. The rosemary and mixed herb infused olive oil gives these vegetables immense flavour. So do not be shy with the amount of this seasoned oil you brush onto the veggies….it makes it taste amazing.
The eggplant and zucchini are grilled on a pan on the stove top, but the peppers are placed in the oven to grill. It is grilled in the oven until the skin is softened and then placed in a plastic bag to sweat, it makes it easier to remove the peel. I just leave the peel, because I like the glossy look it has. But you can choose to do which you prefer.
I use my grill pan to cook these vegetables, but you can use a heavy pan if you do not have a grill pan. Try not to overcook the vegetables, otherwise it will be limp and soggy, which is not a good idea at all. Just cook it until it is tender and cooked.
Layer the cooked vegetables on the baguette slices, top with a slice of cheese close your eyes, take a bite and imagine yourself relaxing on a beautiful Mediterranean island chomping down on one of these sandwiches and There you go Christmas dream holiday sorted!?
Grilled Vegetable Baguette
- 1 large Red bellpepper
- 1 large Green bell pepper
- 1 large eggplant cut into 1 cm / ½ inch slices
- 2 zucchinis cut lengthwise into 1 cm /½ inch slices
- ½ cup olive oil warmed with leaves from a sprig of rosemary and ½ teaspoon mixed dried herbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 baguette slices
- Slices of cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- Grill the peppers under a hot grill until the skins are slightly blackened. Seal in a plastic bag to sweat, then peel if preferred, cut into quarters or thin strips and remove the seeds.
- Brush the eggplant and zucchini with some of the rosemary and herb infused oil and cook on the stovetop in a grill pan or on a heavy based pan until cooked through but not limp. Season with salt and pepper
- Lightly brush both sides of the baguette slices with some of the rosemary infused oil and grill lightly on both sides.
- Arrange the grilled vegetables over the bread and top with a slice of cheddar or mozzarella
- Drizzle with a bit of the olive oil and serve warm with lettuce and roma tomatoes.