This Creamy Vegetable Bake is a medley of vegetables baked to perfection in cheese and white sauce. It is total indulgence with the goodness of veggies.
This creamy veggie bake makes its appearance on our dinner table at least once every week. It makes a great side dish that works well with many meat and fish dishes. It can even be served Just on its own for a simple lunch or even a dinner, with a delicious crusty bread on the side.
Folded in a delicious cheesy sauce, this creamy vegetable bake is super easy to make. Made with simple ingredients this is such a great way to add tons of veggies to your menu.
I can bet that this dish would be loved by kids and adults alike.
Easy variations and versatility
You know how I really love versatility in a recipe, and this recipe definitely does not disappoint. Here's why,
- You don’t have to stick to just one combination of vegetables, I mean you can use any combo of vegetables you desire.
- Choose between frozen or fresh seasonal vegetables
- Serve as an accompaniment or meal on its own
- Glam it up with different cheese and crumbs or keep it simple just topped with melted golden cheese.
- Perfect all year round, in summer using seasonal veggies or the perfect comfort winter dish with spicy cheese sauce.
Which vegetables to use
While almost any type of vegetables can be used for this bake here are a few suggestions if you would like to give it a try.
- cauliflower broccoli
- sweet potato
- zucchini or courgette
- brussel sprouts
- sweet pepper slices
Tips to make the perfect white sauce
My recipe is for a basic white sauce also called Bechamel sauce.
It's like a blank canvas where you can add different types of seasonings and flavourings to the sauce. The vegetables are topped and folded in this creamy deliciousness.
Here are a few tips on how to create a smooth sauce and ideas for seasoning
- Whisking the butter and flour well while slowly adding the milk will result in a smooth, creamy sauce every time.
- Cook the butter and flour on medium-low heat to prevent burning.
- You can add a variety of ingredients to a basic white sauce transforming it into a flavour you prefer. Some of the additional flavourings include chopped chives, different types of grated cheese, dried herbs, dried chilli flakes or even cooked chopped mushrooms.
- Instead of just milk add ½ cream and ½ milk to create a rich silky sauce
How to make Creamy Vegetable Bake
Add the grated cheese and whisk until melted
Pour the sauce over the vegetables. Top with more grated cheese and dried chilli flakes if using.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked to your preference· and the cheese melted
Still hungry for more?