Folded in a mixture of cream, butter and herbs, makes this Creamy Golden Baked Potatoes a truly delectable dish. It is a really rich to eat on its own, so try to prepare it as a side dish.
I usually cook it as a side dish and serve with basmati rice or yeast free garlic butter naan. I want to warn you though, if you are making this as one of your side dishes, it will be the first to be polished off… so make lots?
I cannot tell you how many times friends and family asked for this recipe whenever I baked it and were surprised at how easy it is to make. Prepared in a short time and with minimal ingredients this dish has proved to be a winner time and time again.?
The almost silky textured sauce is achieved by using cream in the sauce. Fresh sprigs of rosemary or mixed herbs are sautéed in butter along with freshly ground black pepper. A bit of spice is never a bad thing so I sprinkle in a few dried chilli flakes, adding some color and spice. But as I always say, the spiciness in a dish is always optional and you can add as much or as little of it to your preference. And turmeric powder…this spice really deserves a post of its own. I can truly write an entire post about the wonderful health benefits of turmeric. From its great health benefits to the beautiful golden colour it gives to food, this is one fantastic spice . From aiding in digestion, to serving as an anti inflammatory or even using as a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, useful in disinfecting cuts and burns and so many more benefits, I would say that this is an amazing spice to have in your kitchen, wouldn’t you. The turmeric is added to give the potatoes a golden colour and also adds a delicious flavour.
To cut down on the baking time I just usually parboil the potatoes in salted water, until they are softened but not fully cooked. Then remove from the heat and strain out the water.They should still be in slices and not broken into pieces. It should not be completely cooked, because it will continue cooking when you put it into the oven with the cream sauce. It is then folded into the sauce and baked until golden.
So go ahead and impress your family and friends with this dish and remember what I said in the beginning… if you are making this as one of your side dishes, it will be the first to be polished off… so make lots?
Creamy Golden Baked Potatoes
- 4 medium sized potatoes sliced into disks
- 2 Tablespoons/ 27 g butter or margarine
- 1 cup / 250 ml heavy / whipping/ fresh cream
- ½ cup / 125ml milk
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes optional
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs or 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon crushed garlic flakes
- Slice potatoes into ¼ inch disks. Boil in lightly salted water until they are cooked but firm. SEE NOTE 1
- Remove and drain.
- Melt the margarine on medium heat.
- Add herbs and crushed chilli flakes and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the cream and milk. Add the turmeric and dried chilli flakes if using. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir constantly to avoid burning.
- Layer the cooked potatoes in a shallow casserole dish and pour the cream sauce over it.
- Sprinkle the top with extra chilli flakes and bake in a preheated 180°C oven for about 20 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
- Garnish with parsley or coriander and serve hot.