If you like coconut desserts then you are going to love this Condensed Milk Coconut Tarts. A buttery shortcrust base filled with sweet coconut filling makes up this all-time classic dessert.
Condensed Milk Coconut Tarts
These Condensed Milk Coconut Tarts are the perfect make-ahead bake. They actually taste better a day after baking allowing for the full richness of flavors to develop.
Just store in an airtight container to keep it fresh.
Another bonus of this recipe is that these coconut tarts can be frozen. They should be wrapped individually in plastic wrap or cling film and placed in a sealed freezer-safe bag or container.
To thaw, just defrost at room temperature and heat for about 4 to 5 minutes in a preheated oven of 320°F /160°C.
This will warm it up giving it that ” just baked” deliciousness.
What goes into it
While the full recipe is written below, this is the section to read if you’re wondering about ingredient substitutions or how these ingredients work in the recipe.
For the pastry
- Buttermilk: This gives the pastry a rich and delicious flavor.
- If you do not have yogurt then make your own by adding 1 teaspoon / 5 ml lemon juice mixed into ¼ cup of milk
Set aside for 5 minutes before using in the recipe.
- All-purpose or Cake flour
- Baking powder
For the filling
- Desiccated Coconut: For this recipe, it is best to use fine desiccated coconut
- Cake or all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- Sugar: I use just a 1/4 cup of sugar for these coconut tarts, but feel free to add a bit more if you prefer a sweeter bake.
- Condensed milk: This helps to bind the filling ingredients and contributes to a creamy rich texture.
- Vanilla extract: To add some extra yum 🙂
- Melted butter
Which baking pan to use
Any 1 of the following is perfect to use for this bake:
- 12 cup tart pan: I use a non-stick 12 cup tart pan for this recipe. The dough is simply cut and lightly pressed to fit the shape of the cup.
- Individual nonstick tart molds
- Muffin or cupcake tins
Tips for making the perfect pastry
The pastry is really easy to make…but the following tips will ensure delicious perfection:
- Avoid over-handling the pastry. The ingredients should just be combined and gathered to form a soft dough. It is not necessary to knead the dough.
- Chill the dough in the fridge for about 15 minutes. This will make it much easier to roll out.
- Don’t add too much flour to the work surface. Adding too much flour can cause the pastry to dry out.
Making the condensed milk coconut tarts
While the full recipe is written below, this is the process with step-by-step pictures to help guide you.
The coconut filling
Cut and shape the pastry
Lightly dust the work surface with flour and roll out the chilled pastry. Using a cookie cutter, cut and press the pastry into a greased tart or cupcake pan.
Fill and bake
Use a spoon or an ice cream scoop to put the filling into the pastry. Bake in a preheated oven at 320ºF (160ºC) for 20 minutes or until they turn golden brown and fully cooked.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the tart or cupcake tin.
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out my other amazing cookie and slice recipes
Still hungry for more?
Condensed Milk Coconut Tarts
FOR THE PASTRY
- ½ cup /125g butter or margarine
- ½ cup / 100g caster sugar
- ¼ cup / 60 ml buttermilk or 1 teaspoon / 5 ml lemon juice mixed into ¼ cup of milk
- 2 ¼ cups / 270g cake flour / all-purpose flour
- 1 level teaspoon / 4 grams baking powder
- ½ teaspoon / 2 ml salt
FOR THE FILLING
- 2 ½ cups / 150g desiccated / shredded coconut
- 2 Tablespoons cake OR all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅔ cup / 134g sugar SEE NOTE 1
- ½ cup / 125ml milk
- ½ cup / 120ml sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 Tablespoons / 60g melted butter
MAKING THE PASTRY
- Start by making the pastry by creaming the sugar and butter.
- Add the buttermilk and beat well until light and creamy
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Combine and handle lightly to form a soft dough. Place in the fridge or freezer for about 10 to 15 minutes while you make the filling.
TO MAKE THE FILLING
THE COCONUT FILLING
- Combine the desiccated coconut, flour and baking powder in a bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, add in the sugar, condensed milk, vanilla extract, melted butter and milk and mix well using a whisk. Mix in the coconut flour mixture into it and whisk well to combine
CUT AND SHAPE THE PASTRY INTO THE TART PAN
- Lightly dust the work surface with flour and roll out the chilled pastry. Using a cookie cutter, cut and press the pastry into a greased tart or cupcake pan.
FILL AND BAKE
- Use a spoon or an ice cream scoop to put the filling into the pastry. Bake in a preheated oven at 320ºF (160ºC) for 20 minutes or until they turn golden brown and fully cooked. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the tart or cupcake tin.
- I use just a 1/4 cup of sugar for these coconut tarts, but feel free to add a bit more if you prefer a sweeter bake.