This easy recipe for Cinnamon Banana Bread is a real keeper. Swirl in a layer or two of sweet cinnamon and you have a delicious twist on one of the most classic bakes.
The cinnamon banana bread keeps perfectly at room temperature for up to 4 days. Then easily warm up leftovers for an anytime treat. Even better, you can double this recipe and freeze another for up to 1 month.
- Bananas: Over ripe or ripe bananas are best for baking. They add sweeter flavor to the baked bread.
- Ground Cinnamon
- Oil: Any neutral flavored oils like canola, sunflower or vegetable oil.
- Baking powder
- Baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- All purpose or cake flour
- Plain unflavored yogurt or buttermilk (see below for substitution)
See below for the full recipe with amounts and instructions
This section includes images, to guide you through the process of this recipe.
See below for full instructions in recipe card below
Step 1: Dry ingredients: Whisk together flour, baking powder,baking soda, salt. Set aside
Step 2: Add butter and sugar into a seperate bowl and beat for 1 minute
Step 3: Then pour in the oil and buttermilk and beat for another minute
Step 4: Fold in the mashed bananas
Step 5: Add in the whisked dry ingredients and fold in until just combined.
Step 6: In a separate small bowl, combine the ground cinnamon and sugar
Step 7:Add ⅓ of the batter into baking pan
Step 8: Level out the batter and sprinkle ½ of the cinnamon sugar
Step 9: Repeat, topping again with ⅓ of the batter
Step 10: then level it out and sprinkle the rest of cinnamon sugar.
Step 11:Finish by topping with remaining batter
Step 12: Bake
Frequently asked questions and tips
- How to store baked cinnamon banana bread
I store my cinnamon banana bread covered on the counter for about 4 days. If you live in a hotter area or your kitchen is very warm, I suggest you keep the baked cake in the fridge after 2 days.
- Can I freeze baked cinnamon banana bread
Absolutely yes! The bread freezes extremely well, so you can even double the recipe and freeze one for later. To freeze, wrap the completely cooled baked cinnamon banana bread in plastic and then in a layer of foil. This helps keep the flavor and soft texture intact.
Defrost overnight in the fridge. Then set it out a few hours at room temperature before serving.w
- What's the best way to warm up leftovers
20 seconds in the microwave usually does the trick if you want to warm up a slice or two. You could also pop it in an airfryer or oven set to about 200°F (100°C) for 2-3 minutes as well.
- How to substitute buttermilk or yogurt
Either Greek yoghurt, plain unflavoured yoghurt or buttermilk can be used in this recipe
If you do not have yogurt or buttermilk then make your own by adding ½ Tablespoon (7 ml) lemon juice or vinegar to ½ cup (125 ml) milk.
Set aside for 5 minutes before using it in the recipe.
Cinnamon Banana Bread
For the Cinnamon banana bread
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose or cake flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter at room temperature
- ¼ cup white granulated sugar
- ¼ cup oil any neutral flavored like sunflower, vegetable or canola oil
- ½ cup buttermilk or plain unflavored yogurt see notes
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 large bananas makes 1 cup when mashed) see notes
For the cinnamon sugar layers
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 356° F / 180° C (160° C fan)
- Grease and line an 8.5 x 4.5 inch (21.6 x 11.4 cm) loaf pan with parchment paper
Make the batter
- Whisk together flour, baking powder,baking soda, and salt. Set aside
- Add butter and sugar into a seperate bowl and beat for 1 minute
- Pour in the oil and buttermilk and beat for another minute.
- Fold in the mashed bananas
- Add in the whisked flour mixture and fold in until just combined.
Make the cinnamon sugar
- In a separate small bowl, combine the ground cinnamon and sugar.
Assemble the cinnamon banana bread
- Add ⅓ of the batter into the baking pan.
- Level out the batter and sprinkle ½ of the cinnamon sugar
- Repeat, topping again with ⅓ of the batter.
- level it out and sprinkle the rest of the cinnamon sugar.
- Finish by topping with remaining batter.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes and until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Tip: Rotate the pan halfway through the baking time, making sure it bakes evenly.
- Optional: Make the glaze
- Whisk powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract together in a bowl until smooth and thickened.
- Use a spoon of piping bag to drizzle the glaze over the cooled baked cake.
More Banana Bakes and recipes
Bananas are one of the most easiest and delicious fruit to use in baking and cooking. That's especially when you have a bowl of over ripe bananas. Instead of tossing it out, treat yourself to these favorites.
My Banana butterscotch loaf is another spin on the classic recipe, drizzled and soaked with a warm butterscotch syrup.
Or how about this One bowl Chocolate chip banana loaf a quick and delicious bake.
Looking for a breakfast treat, then I have you covered with my easy Banana cranberry oat muffins or banana fritters.
And for dessert, here's a treat for you with this Peanut butter banana ice cream.
Want even more delicious recipes? Subscribe free to receive new post notifications emailed to you. Or follow along on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram. If you love sharing recipes please come and join my All about cooking and baking Facebook group or Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Leave a Reply