Start your day with these healthy and delicious Banana Cranberry Oat Muffins. Full of amazing flavour, these muffins make a great breakfast.
I absolutely love baking with fruit. The taste of the baked goods are so amazing and eliminate the need to use artificial flavoring.
What’s even better, is that you can combine different fruit and create unique flavor and color combinations. Just like this banana and cranberry muffins, the sweet taste of the banana mix so well with tangy flavour of the cranberries.
These muffins are so soft and fluffy when baked, with the topped oats adding a delicious crunch.
It is actually the bananas with the extra moisture that contributes to the tenderness in the muffins. Just try to use the ripest bananas you have, these are really sweet so you can cut down on the sugar or honey used.
What I love the most about these muffins is that all the ingredients are combined into one bowl and you don’t even need a mixer. Just use a whisk or a fork to combine the ingredients and do not over mix.
The mixture will be lumpy, and that is perfectly fine because over mixing will cause the muffins to tough and dense. You don’t want tough and dense…you want soft and tender.
After mixing, the cranberries are just folded into the batter with a spatula, filled into the muffin pan and then topped with a sprinkling of oats and brown sugar to give it a beautiful golden colour and texture.
Baked for 15 mins and then devoured as soon as it removed from the oven.
These muffins will keep well at room temperature for 2 days or up to 4 days in the fridge. You could also freeze the muffins for up to 3 months. Just thaw out individual muffins as needed.
Okay, I am off to the kitchen to grab one of these muffins to have with my coffee…I hope that you will be doing the same soon
Still hungry for more?
Banana Cranberry Oat Muffins
- 1/3 cup / 75 ml oil
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml / 170g / 6 oz honey
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas about 3 bananas
- 1 teaspoon baking soda / bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups / 235 g all purpose / plain flour
- 1/3 cup / 46 g oats plus 1 Tablespoon for more for sprinkling on top
- 1 teaspoon brown or granulated sugar for sprinkling on top
- 1 cup / 120g dried cranberries tossed in 2 Tablespoons flour NOTE 1
- Preheat the oven to 325° F / 160° .C
- Grease the muffin tin with cooking spray or line with paper cases.
- Toss the cranberries in flour and set aside. NOTE 1
- In a large bowl, beat the oil and honey together with a whisk.
- Add the eggs and beat well. Mix in the mashed bananas followed by the baking soda, vanilla extract, salt and cinnamon.
- Add the flour and oats to the bowl and mix just until combined. DO NOT OVERMIX. NOTE 2
- Using a spatula or spoon, gently fold in the cranberries
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups, filling each cup about two-thirds full. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with oats and sugar
- Bake muffins for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Leave muffins to cool in the pan for a few minutes before removing. If necessary,you can run a spatula or knife around the muffins to loosen it from the tin
- These muffins keep well at room temperature for 2 days or up to 4 days in the fridge. You could also freeze the muffins for up to 3 months...just thaw out individual muffins as needed.