This 4 ingredient Cheese and Onion Bread makes the perfect accompaniment to any meal. Yeast-free with just 4 ingredients mixed in one bowl, this is a super easy bake. Soft on the inside with a cheese-topped crust this is about to become your favorite quick bread recipe.
4 ingredient cheese and onion bread
Made using 4 basic ingredients this cheese and onion bread is, a great savory bake. Budget-friendly, and convenient it is so easy to put together after a busy day. All the ingredients are simply mixed together in one bowl, scooped into your baking pan, and baked.
These simple ingredients create a soft fluffy bread on the inside with a golden rustic crust. Perfect to eat with just a spread of butter or to mop up your favorite gravy or soup. This classic combination of flavors creates an amazing recipe.
Just a note on a few ingredients and substitutes if needed
While the full recipe is written below, this is the section to read if you’re wondering about ingredient substitutions or how these ingredients work in the recipe
Buttermilk: This ingredient contributes to the soft texture of the bread. Either Greek yogurt, plain unflavored yogurt, or buttermilk can be used
If you do not have yogurt or buttermilk then make your own by adding 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) of lemon juice or vinegar to 2 cups (500ml) of full-fat milk. Set aside for 5 minutes before using in the recipe
Which pan to use
This dough can be pressed, scooped, and shaped so works well in any type of pan.
Keep in mind that baking times will vary slightly according to the pan you decide to use. Here is an approximate guide for the baking time when using the pans you prefer.
- 9 inch (23cm round cake pan) - 40 to 45 minutes
- 9×5 inch ( 23×13 cm) loaf pan – 40 minutes
- Muffin pan – 25 to 30 minutes
- Mini loaf pan – 25 to 30 minutes
Here are a few of my favorite variations to this recipe. Give it a try if you like or use whichever you prefer.
- Add a bit of spice and color by adding in chopped jalapenos or sweet pepper and dried chili flakes.
- Chopped olives add amazing flavor and texture.
- Brush with garlic or herb butter after baking
- Top with seeds like sesame, poppy, or chia before baking.
Tips for a successful bake
The ingredients in this recipe can easily be doubled for a large loaf or a double batch of muffins.
Avoid overmixing the batter. Mix until just combined. Over mixing is going to result in a dense, heavy textured bread.
Fill the pan with the batter up to ¾ full. This ensures a well risen, domed bake.
Test if the bread is baked by inserting a skewer into the center of the bread. The skewer should not have any batter clinging to it when removed.
This bread is best eaten on the same day it has been baked. If you do have any leftovers, then store them in an airtight container for up to 1 day. To reheat and soften, just pop it into the microwave for a few seconds.
How to make 4 ingredient Cheese and Onion Bread
While the video and the full printable recipe is written below, this is the process with step-by-step pictures to guide you.
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 9 inch (23cm round cake pan) with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, brown onion soup, and half of the cheese together.
- Add the buttermilk and mix to a firm dough. Transfer the dough into the greased and lined pan and press it out evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the dough. Bake for 40– 45 minutes (depending on the size of your pan) until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Serve warm.
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out my other amazing bread recipes
Still hungry for more?