Looking for a light, quick and easy midweek meal? Then I got you covered with my delicious 20 Minute Spicy Vegetable Rice recipe. Full of amazing flavour, using simple ingredients, makes this the perfect midweek meal.
I LOVE using rice in a recipe or meal. It can be as simple as... shall we say plain cooked rice or as complicated and scary as a Gordon Ramsay Hell's Kitchen show recipe where every grain of rice has to be coated in...well whatever he is using to coat it with or else...?
There is no need to be scared with this recipe though because it is easy, delicious and looks great too. The veggies used in this recipe can be swapped for what you have in the fridge or for the veggies you prefer. This spicy vegetable rice can be served on its own as a light meal or as a side dish and accompaniment to other meals.
Making the 20 Minute Spicy Vegetable Rice
Which rice to use
I am a big fan of brown basmati rice, and that is what I use in this recipe. However please feel free to use whichever rice you have or prefer and cook it accordingly.
Basmati rice cooks to a tender and fluffy rice and the fragrant aroma adds to the delicious flavour when combined with the vegetables.
It is important to first wash the rice well before cooking to ensure the fluffy and light texture and to avoid it sticking together.
The rice is brought to a boil and then cooked on medium heat for 15 minutes until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. If you find that the rice is still firm then add a few tablespoons of water and cook until soft.
Which vegetables are used
The vegetables used in this recipe is my favorite combo. Red bell pepper, green beans, peas and garlic are great together. Then mixed with rice and olives it has a wonderful flavour and colour. Sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds completes the dish with a slight crunch and nutty flavour.
The pepper, beans and garlic are cooked for 5 minutes until tender but still crunchy. Add the peas and cook for another two minutes before stirring in the cooked rice, paprika and olives. Using toasted sesame seeds is optional, but just adds a nutty flavour to the dish...and it looks pretty as well?
Squeeze a few drops of lemon over the rice and serve garnished with coriander and a wedge of lemon.
Just 20 minutes from start to finish to create this bowl of deliciousness...how perfectly awesome is that!
20 Minute Spicy Vegetable Rice
- 1 cup / 195g basmati rice or any rice of your choice
- 1 ½ cups / 375ml cups water
- ¼ teaspoon ground / powdered turmeric
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml oil
- 1 large red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 cup / 150g green beans trimmed, halved diagonally
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 cup / 150g frozen or fresh peas
- 1 cup / 180g black seedless olives
- 2 Tablespoons toasted sesame seeds optional
- ¼ cup chopped coriander
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Wash the rice well. The water will be cloudy at first, but after a few washes, it should be clear.
- Place rice, water and turmeric and salt to taste in a medium saucepan over high heat. Stir to combine. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender SEE NOTE 1
- Remove from heat and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Set aside, covered, for 5 minutes.
- While the rice cooks, heat the oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic, red bell peppers and green beans. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until just tender. Add peas and paprika and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir the cooked rice and olives into the pan with the vegetables and toss gently to combine.
- Garnish with toasted sesame seeds if using and add coriander and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
- The rice is brought to a boil and then cooked on medium heat for 15 minutes until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. If you find that the rice is still firm then add a few tablespoons of water and cook until soft.