Creamy spinach and mushroom lasagne, the ultimate comfort food. It is such a wonderful dish which can easily be an elegant main meal or a simple picnic lunch.
An extremely versatile dish , where you can add ingredients to your personal taste, but this spinach and mushroom lasagna is quite a favourite in my home. It is a great combination of vegetables. This is a simple, basic recipe, so remember you can add or remove ingredients to your liking.
Try to use fresh seasonal ingredients to guarantee a great tasting lasagna. I have swiss chard growing in my garden throughout the year so I try to use it as often as possible. I use it to replace the spinach in the recipe, there are minor differences between these leafy greens, but both are loaded with beneficial nutrients, and can be interchanged in any recipe.
In this recipe I used the small brown portabello mushrooms, I feel that these mushrooms don't shrink as much and keep their shape, compared to the white button mushrooms.
The bechamel or white sauce is where you can really add flavour or richness to your dish. It can be made decadently rich and creamy using double or fresh cream or a little lighter using low-fat milk. Additional flavour can also be added to the sauce by using powdered sauce mix , such as Royco pasta sauce. This helps to flavour the sauce and it also helps thicken the sauce faster.
Try this simple recipe to create a delicious lasagna, whether you choose to make it a rich or light meal, it will turn out perfect.
SPINACH AND MUSHROOM LASAGNE
- 500 g finely chopped spinach or swiss chard
- 250 g mushrooms
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- For the sauce
- 750 ml / 3 cups milk
- 60 g / 4 Tablespoons margarine or butter
- 45 ml / 3 Tablespoons flour
- Dried lasagna sheets
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Royco cheese and peppercorn sauce optional
- Finely chop onions and garlic either by hand or in a food
- processor. Remove and set aside
- Add spinach and chop finely. Remove and set aside.
- Chop mushrooms.
- Sauté onions and garlic
- Add spinach and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms and cook for about 10 minutes until done.
- Make the sauce by melting margarine in a saucepan on low heat
- Stir in flour and salt and pepper to taste
- Cook on low to medium heat until there are no lumps
- Add the milk and stir until thickened . I added in a packet of Royco cheese and peppercorn sauce to flavour it and to help thicken the sauce faster.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C / 320°F Grease an ovenproof dish and spoon a layer of the sauce at the bottom of the dish
- Cover with a single layer of lasagne sheets
- Spoon in some of the spinach and mushroom mix depending on how thick or thin you want the lasagne to be, and add in some of the sauce
- Place another layer of lasagne sheets over the mixture. Continue in this way alternating between lasagne sheets, spinach and mushroom mix and sauce until you finish with a thick layer of the sauce covering the lasagne sheets.
- Grate cheese to finish. Place in the oven and bake at 160°C for about 20 minutes. Cover loosely with foil (shiny side up) if you feel that the lasagne is browning too quickly before it is baked.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy 🙂