An Easy Sausage Macaroni perfect for a weeknight dinner. I love how easy it is to incorporate flavours and ingredients into macaroni to create quick meals.
A MEAL PREPARED IN UNDER HALF AN HOUR
That is a really quick easy to prepare and extremely comforting and satisfying meal ready in under half an hour.
I just fried up a bit of onion and green and red bell pepper, add a bit of crushed garlic and chilli powder and emptied a can of chopped Italian tomatoes into the pan. A good bottled pasta sauce added to this and cooked for about 10 minutes puts the magic into the entire dish.
In this dish I used vegetarian sausage, which cooks very quickly…in about 5 minutes. However you can add any type of sausage you prefer and cook to your preference. Boil and drain the water from the pasta and add it to your cooked pasta sauce. Sprinkle over some grated mozzarella and a few basil leaves and you have an amazing dinner.
If you find the pasta sauce too tangy, you could stir in a bit of bechamel / white sauce into it. This adds a bit of creaminess and cuts out the tanginess of the canned tomato.
So whether you are stuck in evening traffic and have a few minutes to prepare dinner or emergency situations calling for emergency dinners or just want something really quick to prepare, I got you covered with my recipe for Easy Sausage Macaroni.
PS. YOU CAN FIND GREAT TIPS FOR COOKING THE PERFECT PASTA HERE
Easy Sausage Macaroni
- 1 x 400g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g pasta sauce I used the one with basil and olives in the mix
- 1 x clove crushed garlic clove
- ½ finely chopped onion
- 1 x medium red or green bell pepper
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder optional
- ¼ teaspoon mixed dried herbs
- about 8 basil leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 sausages cooked and sliced I used vegetarian sausage, use any type you prefer
- ½ cup grated cheese
- 500 g macaroni boiled and drained
- TO MAKE THE WHITE SAUCE OPTIONAL If you find the pasta sauce too tangy, you could stir in a bit of bechamel / white sauce into it. This adds a bit of creaminess and cuts out the tanginess of the canned tomato.
- 250 ml milk
- 2 Tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 Tablespoon all purpose / cake flour
- ¼ cup grated cheese
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon dried mixed herbs or finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- Boil macaroni according to package instructions.
- As soon as the pasta has finished cooking, strain out the water but do not rinse.
- While the macaroni is cooking ,Fry the onions and peppers on medium heat until softened. Add in crushed garlic and mixed herbs and cook for about 1 minute
- Empty in the can of chopped tomatoes, bottled pasta sauce and add in the chilli powder if using.
- Cook until slightly reduced, about 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes bottled pasta sauce has added salt , so taste first and adjust salt and pepper to your preference.
- Add in the cooked and sliced sausages.
- Stir in the strained macaroni, coating it well into the sauce. Garnish with grated cheese and basil leaves.
- TO MAKE THE WHITE SAUCE IF USING IN MACARONI
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter or margarine. Add in mixed herbs or basil leaves and nutmeg if using.
- Add flour and stir with a whisk until the butter and flour are well combined.
- Pour in milk, stirring constantly as it thickens.Add more milk depending on desired consistency. Measure out salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in grated cheese until melted. Combine into the sausage macaroni if prefered.
- Serve immediately. ( SEE NOTE 1)
Pasta dishes are best served immediately after cooking otherwise it tends to dry up if served too long after cooking.