Soft and delicious this Yeast Free Stove Top Pita Recipe, makes the perfect pocket for your favorite filling. Made in under an hour, using 4 basic ingredients, this is my quick and easy recipe for a stack of soft and fluffy pita breads. The perfect sandwich bread, especially if you do not want to or cannot have yeast in your diet.
I love working with yeast and using it in baking, like in my other recipe for pita which has yeast as an ingredient. However there are times when I, don’t have the time to knead the dough or wait an hour for it to rise.
That is when this Yeast Free Stove Top Pita Recipe comes to my rescue. Made by combining flour, baking powder, sour milk or buttermilk and salt and then cooked on a pan on the stove, it really is so easy.
These pita breads can be used, for gyros, a pizza base or cut in half and split with a knife, creating a pocket for your favorite filling.
I just love it grilled with cheese, tomato slices and chopped green onion. It tastes absolutely amazing. Or spread on hummus and fill with roasted chickpeas and veggie strips. The deliciousness is endless.
MAKING THE YEAST FREE STOVE TOP PITA RECIPE
Buttermilk or sour milk is added to the flour, baking powder, and salt. It is combined with a fork and then just gathered to form a soft dough. To make the sour milk, just add a teaspoon of lemon juice into a cup of whole or full-fat milk.
Allow it to stand for 5 minutes before adding to your flour. I have tried both, either buttermilk or sour milk in the recipe and it turns out perfectly delicious and soft. So use what you have, because both give great results.
After the dough is formed, you can leave it to rest for 10 to 20 minutes. This will help the gluten in the flour absorb the liquid and make rolling out easier. Divide the dough into six equal portions. Using a rolling pin, roll it to about ¼ inch / ½ cm thickness.
Place one pita at a time on a nonstick or cast iron pan. Cook on medium heat for about 1 ½ minute on each side. When cooked, the pita will puff up to a thickness of about 1 cm
Since this recipe does not use yeast, the pita is not going to fill up with air and pop up. But it going to bubble and puff up, enough so that you can slit it with a sharp knife to create a pocket.
After it cooks and when you remove it from the pan, remember that it is not going to be soft immediately. To soften it place the hot pita bread under a clean kitchen towel and cover it, the steam will soften them and they will be flexible.
To serve with filling slice each pita in half through the center. With a very sharp knife, slit open the center of the pita and fill with veggies, spreads or meat of your choice.
These pitas are best eaten on the day that it is made. If you do have any leftovers then store them for up to 2 days in an airtight container.
To soften and warm, reheat in the microwave for about 15 seconds and cover with a kitchen towel for a few minutes to allow the steam to soften it. You could also warm it in a pan on the stove, remove from the heat and cover for a few minutes to soften.
The perfect Yeast Free Stove Top Pita Recipe creating the perfect sandwich bread, easy and delicious, from start to finish
Yeast Free Stove Top Pita Recipe
- 2 cups / 240g all purpose / cake flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup / 250ml warm buttermilk or sour milk SEE NOTE 1
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the warmed buttermilk or sour milk to the flour mixture and mix with a fork.
- Gather the mixture to form a soft dough.
- Leave to rest for about 10 to 20 minutes ( SEE NOTE 2 )
- On a lightly floured board, roll out the dough to about ¼ inch / ½ cm thick.
- Place one pita at a time on a non stick or cast iron pan. Cook on medium heat for about 1 ½ minutes on each side. When cooked, The pita will puff up to a thickness of about 1 cm ( SEE NOTE 3 )
- After it cooks and when you remove it from the pan, remember that it is not going to be soft immediately. To soften it place the hot pita bread under a clean kitchen towel and cover it, the steam will soften them and they will be flexible.
- To serve with a filling slice each pita in half through the center. With a very sharp knife, slit open the center of the pita and fill with veggies, spreads or meat of your choice.