I love to bake, but there are times when you just want a no bake dessert. It could be for unexpected guests, a craving or maybe you just don't want to turn on the oven. Strawberry Cheesecake Mousse is of my favourite No bake desserts which require just an hour to set and tastes and looks absolutely amazing.
Remember this is not a cheesecake which you set in a springform tin and unmold hours later. It is just a cheesecake mousse and has the characteristics of both the cheesecake and the mousse ....being slightly firm as a cheesecake and slightly airy like a mousse. So pleeeeeze do not try to set it in a tin to unmold later because it does not set and cannot be cut into like a cheesecake. It will just fall apart ( Yes, I tried to see if there just might be a chance of it setting...there was none...it fell apart. But well on the bright side, my two boys were happily ready with spoons to catch the mousse falling out onto a plate.
Just allow to set in the fridge in ramekins, mason jars or little dessert cups for about an hour. It will have an airy slightly firm texture.
This recipe has jelly / jello in it as one of the ingredients, and being a vegetarian I use jelly / jello which is free of gelatin. Bakol Jel Dessert makes an excellent substitute for jelly/jello if you are vegetarian or possibly hosting a party or event with vegetarian guests or even if you just want to use a gelatin free product.
However if you prefer, you can also use your regular jelly/jello as it does not affect the recipe. It is just my choice to use the vegan option.
Another ingredient, I would like to mention is the use of canned evaporated milk. I usually use evaporated milk instead of heavy cream because the evaporated milk has far lower calories than the heavy cream.....which means ... YAY... you can go for second helpings in this dessert. And be honest, who doesn't love an extra helping of dessert? Just ensure that you chill the can of evaporated milk for a few hours before using, otherwise it might not whip up well. You need it to be whipped to double its volume.
This is a really simple dessert to prepare and you are going to love it.
Strawberry cheesecake mousse
- FOR THE BASE
- 15 Plain biscuits / cookies
- 3 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- FOR THE FILLING
- 90 g packet strawberry jelly / jello OR Bakol Jel Dessert See link in the post NOTE 1
- 410 g tin chilled evaporated milk
- 250 g smooth cottage cheese
- 250 g strawberries hulled and sliced
- FOR THE BASE
- Crush plain biscuits / cookies in a food processor or place in a bag and bash with a rolling pin.
- Add 3 Tablespoons melted margarine to crushed biscuits / cookies and mix in well
- Place about I Tablespoon of the crushed biscuit/cookie mix at the bottom of each serving bowl and press in with a spoon to firm and compact it.
- FOR THE FILLING
- Dissolve the jelly powder in 150ml boiling water and set aside.
- Beat the evaporated milk until doubled in volume and light and fluffy.
- Beat in the cottage cheese and cooled jelly until combined
- Stir in the strawberries.
- Pour onto the compacted cookie mix and refrigerate for about an hour until set.
1. Bakol Jel Dessert ( Vegetarian option)