Strawberries and Cream Chocolate Swiss Roll makes an absolutely decadent and stunning dessert. Fresh strawberries and cream cheese is spread onto a soft and moist chocolate cake. It is then rolled up to form a beautiful swiss roll
The cake is soft and moist…never dry and the filling for this recipe tastes and makes an extremely impressive dessert
Just follow these tips and ideas for perfect swiss roll always. This is also a great recipe, it really is flop proof.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE PERFECT SWISS ROLL
1. Try not to overbake the sponge
2. Immediately after baking, turn out the cake,onto baking / parchment paper dusted with castor sugar
3. Remove the lining and trim off a bit of the stiff edges, which would cause it to crack during rolling.
4. Use the baking / parchment paper dusted with castor sugar to help you roll the cake up, while it is still hot, If the cake cools down, it will crack when you roll it up
5. Leave the rolled cake to cool completely in the parchment paper. I usually cover the parchment rolled swiss roll with a clean damp tea towel. I find that this keeps the sponge soft during the cooling process and makes it easier to re-roll it after it has cooled.
6. After it has cooled completely, unroll the sponge which will be slightly curved, so do not force it down, or it will crack. The curve will make rolling it back with the filling much easier.
7. Spread on the filling. Roll it up again.
I hope that you have as much fun with different frosting and fillings as I did. This is a really easy, quick cake to prepare, just follow the guidelines above and you can impress your guests, family and yourself with this gorgeous dessert.
Strawberries and Cream Chocolate Swiss Roll
- 4 extra large eggs separated
- 160 ml / 135g castor sugar
- 60 ml / ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 5 ml / 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 60 ml / ¼ cup hot water
- 125 ml cake / all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 ml salt
- extra castor sugar for sprinkling on parchment paper after baking
FOR THE FILLING
- 8 oz / 1 cup/ 250g Cream cheese
- 2 Tablespoons / 30 ml icing sugar / powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ cup / 125ml chopped strawberries
- Beat egg yolks. Gradually add the castor sugar and continue beating until thick.
- Mix the cocoa powder and coffee in the hot water until smooth and beat it into the egg yolks.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together. Fold it into the above mixture until smooth.
- Beat the egg whites until the stiff peak stage.( Stiff or firm peaks stand straight up when the beaters are lifted)
- Gently fold this into the cake mixture with a metal spoon until properly incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture onto a lined and greased 23x32cm swiss roll tin.
- Bake in a pre heated oven at 180°C / 350°F / Gas mark 4 for 10 -15 minutes
- Turn out immediately onto parchment paper sprinkled with the extra castor sugar.
- Remove lining from the cake. Trim off the edges. ( SEE NOTE 1)
- Roll up the cake ( SEE NOTE 2)
- Leave rolled until completely cooled ( SEE NOTE 3 )
- Unroll and spread with cream cheese and chopped strawberries
- Roll up again, dust with icing sugar and decorate with chocolate dipped strawberries
FOR THE FILLING
- Beat the cream cheese, icing / powdered sugar and vanilla essence together.
- Chop up the strawberries into little cubes.