The perfect combination of spinach and feta in a light crispy crust makes this quiche an excellent picnic lunch as it can be prepared the day before and served either warmed ar cold. I love making the mini quiche during the weekend as it is also quick and easy for the lunchbox on a rushed Monday morning. Try it, it is really simple and quick to prepare.
Spinach and Feta Quiche
- For the crust
- 200 g wholemeal or plain flour
- 100 g butter or margarine
- 60 ml buttermilk
- 20 g grated cheese
- 10 ml water
- For the filling
- 200 g chopped spinach
- 100 g feta cheese
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 small onion choped
- 2 eggs
- 125 ml cream cheese or cottage cheese
- 2 ml dried mixed herbs optional
- Start by preparing the crust. Sift flour into a bowl and rub in the margarine with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the buttermilk, cheese and water and gently bring the dough together into a ball. Avoid kneading the dough too much as this will cause it to become stiff.
- Place the bowl of dough in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes. This will make the dough easier to handle.
- Next make the filling by frying the onions and garlic for a few minutes in a little margarine or oil.
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted. Crumble the feta and add to the spinach. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a saucepan or jug, beat the eggs, add cream cheese or cottage cheese and dried mixed herbs and mix well.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Press dough into a greased ovenproof quiche tin.
- Spoon the spinach and feta mixture into the pressed dough.
- Pour the beaten egg and cream mixture over the top of the quiche and bake in a preheated oven of 180 degrees celcius for 15 to 20 minutes until the top is set and the crust is evenly browned.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 15 minutes before serving.