Take your muffins to the next level with these easy to make Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins. A delicious combination of warm spices, filled and topped with a tangy cream cheese frosting. It's the perfect Starbucks Copycat recipe you can enjoy anytime, all year round!
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
These muffins are perfect served at breakfast or for afternoon snack and anytime in between 🙂
Filled and topped with a piping of cheesecake batter offers tangy balance to the sweet pumpkin muffins. Super easy to make with basic ingredients, these are about to become your new favorite bake.
A quick process overview
NOTE:This is just a visual guide so you can see the process. When you are baking, you’ll need to scroll to the end for the full printable recipe with ingredient measurements and method.
The cream cheese filling
The cream cheese filling is a combination of cream cheese,sugar, egg and vanilla extract. Make this first and set aside before making your muffin batter.
Making the muffin batter
- In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl mix together the wet ingredients.
- Then pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with dry ingredients. Whisk it all together to form a thick batter. Do not overbeat.
Filling and baking
- Add batter to about ¾ full. Keep in mind that when you pipe in the cream cheese filling, it's going to rise a little more.
- Fill the cream cheese frosting into a piping bag. You can use a piping bag with a tip or just a ziplock bag with the tip cut off.
- Insert it halfway into the batter and pull out, leaving a little dollop at the top. Depending on how much cream cheese you like, you can leave an even bigger dollop on top.
- For a little bit of crunch you can add a sprinkle of chopped pumpkin seeds around the edges of each muffin.
Frequently asked questions and tips
For these muffins you need warm ground spices like cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and cloves.
If you don’t have the spices listed here you can use pumpkin pie spice will work great too. Use 2 ¼ teaspoon then omit cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
However if you are unable to get these spices, the same amount of store bought allspice (mixed spice) will work as a substitute
Yes. I love baking with fresh homemade pumpkin puree, which I also used in this recipe. You can use canned pumpkin puree if you prefer. Any works perfectly fine.
If you are getting canned pumpkin, make sure that it is not pumpkin pie filling. Pumpkin pie filling contains spices and other flavoring which can affect the taste of the muffins.
The cubed pumpkin can either be steamed or roasted until tender. Once cooled, place the cooked pumpkin in a food processor or blender and blend for about 2 minutes until smooth.
Want even more delicious recipes? Subscribe free to receive new post notifications emailed to you. Or follow along on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram. If you love sharing recipes please come and join my All about cooking and baking Facebook group or Subscribe to my YouTube channel