Create a soft chocolatey moist cake with this One bowl chocolate cake recipe . No eggs, butter, dairy or stand mixers are needed. Just one bowl a whisk and a few basic ingredients are required to create this chocolate cake delight.
There are so many spins on the classic chocolate cake, but I doubt that I will ever find one that is as easy, quick delicious and budget-friendly as this one. There is no getting out the eggs and butter from the fridge to warm up to room temperature ( this is actually something that I ALWAYS forget to do ).
Less washing up because all the ingredients are mixed in one bowl with a whisk or spoon. No stand mixer or hand-held beaters necessary.
The best part is that this is the most forgiving, flop proof cake I have ever made.
Besides the frosting, the cake itself contains no eggs, dairy or butter, so if you want to keep it completely dairy-free or vegan, then leave out the frosting and just dust with sifted powdered or confectioners sugar.
Why vinegar is used in this recipe
Usually, eggs act as a leavening agent helping the cake to rise. however for this cake baking soda/bicarbonate of soda is used for leavening.
Bicarbonate of soda is an alkali which needs an acid to react with, which in most cake recipes is buttermilk or sour cream. Since this cake does not contain any dairy, vinegar is used as the acid instead.
These two ingredients work together, creating a soft, tender and fluffy texture. There is no taste of the vinegar in the baked cake at all.
Making the one bowl chocolate cake
A really simple recipe where the flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder is sifted into a large bowl.
Make a well in the centre of the sifted dry ingredients and add the water, oil, vinegar and vanilla extract. Mix until combined and pour into a greased and lined 8 inch / 20cm round or square pan.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
The frosting is optional. You can top with buttercream, whipped cream sifted confectioners sugar or a ganache. For this cake, I made a chocolate ganache.
Just add dark chocolate pieces to warmed cream. Allow the chocolate to soften in the cream for about 5 minutes before stirring.
The ganache thickens as it cools. You can pour the ganache onto the cooled cake or allow it to thicken to the desired consistency before spreading it onto the cooled cake.
So here you have it, give this recipe a try the next time you need a quick and easy dessert recipe. Convenient, easy and delicious
One Bowl Chocolate Cake ( No eggs, No butter)
- 1 1/2 cup / 180g All-Purpose Flour or Cake Flour
- 1 cup / 200g white sugar
- 1/4 cup / 29g cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda / bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml vinegar
- 1/3 cup / 80ml vegetable /canola / sunflower oil
- 1 cup / 250ml warm water
CHOCOLATE GANACHE ( OPTIONAL)
- 1 1/2 cups / 255g dark chocolate broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup / 125ml cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C. Lightly grease and line an 8 inch / 20cm square or round pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients.
- Mix until combined and pour into the greased and lined cake pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before frosting if preferred.
CHOCOLATE GANACHE ( OPTIONAL)
- Add dark chocolate pieces to warmed cream. Allow the chocolate to soften in the cream for about 5 minutes before stirring.
- The ganache thickens as it cools. You can pour the ganache onto the cooled cake or allow it to thicken to the desired consistency before spreading it onto the cooled cake.