This decadent Chocolate Hot Milk Sponge Cake with irresistible taste and texture makes the perfect bake for any occasion. Make it elaborate and top with a creamy chocolate ganache or buttercream or keep it simple and just serve with sieved powdered sugar.
A delicious cake with a dense texture makes it easy for carving and shaping. This makes it a great celebration cake if you are planning on shaping it a certain way.
This is a very easy bake, using basic ingredients and no special equipment is needed. Just a bowl and spatula to mix the ingredients and use any type of baking pan you prefer.
TRY THIS RECIPE USING DIFFERENT BAKING PANS AND TOPPING
For this recipe, I have used a 9 inch / 20cm round cake pan but go ahead and try this bake with other baking tins.
- Using a bundt pan for this cake and topping with chocolate ganache and chocolate shavings make an impressive bake.
- Bake in a loaf pan and drizzle with melted chocolate
- Try this mix for cupcakes and frost with a swirl of buttercream
- Use a sheet pan and cut into squares to serve.
Baking times are going to vary if you are using any other pan beside the one specified in the recipe card. So for example, if you are using this recipe for cupcakes which bake faster than a 9 inch / 20cm cake. Make sure to check the cupcakes 10 to 15 minutes into the baking time.
MAKING THE CHOCOLATE HOT MILK SPONGE CAKE
Start by heating the milk and butter in a saucepan. Heat just until the butter is melted and add in the vanilla extract.
Beat the eggs and sugar until light and creamy.
Sift the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder into a bowl.
Using a spatula or spoon, gently fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture.
Stir the warmed milk and butter into the flour and egg mixture and combine to form a smooth batter.
Pour the batter into a greased and lined 9 inch / 20 cm pan and bake at 350°F / 180°C for between 20 and 25 minutes.
Decorate and frost as desired.
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out my other amazing cake recipes
Still hungry for more?
Chocolate Hot Milk Sponge
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 cup / 250ml milk
- ½ cup / 125g butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup / 230g castor sugar
- 2 cups / 240g all purpose/ plain / cake flour
- 4 Tablespoons / 29 g cocoa powder
- 1 level Tablespoon / 13g baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM ( OPTIONAL)
- 1 cup / 227g / 2 sticks /8 oz butter at room temperature
- 3 cups / 380g powdered / confectioners / icing sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon / 5ml vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon / 7g cocoa powder
- 4 to 6 tablespoons /60ml warm milk whipping cream or heavy cream
TO MAKE THE HOT MILK SPONGE CAKE
- Start by heating the milk and butter in a saucepan. Heat just until the butter is melted and add in the vanilla extract.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until light and creamy.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder into a bowl.
- Using a spatula or spoon, gently fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture.
- Stir the warmed milk and butter into the flour and egg mixture and combine to form a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into a greased and lined 9 inch / 20 cm pan and bake at 350°F /180°C for between 20 and 25 minutes.
- Decorate and frost as desired
TO MAKE THE BUTTERCREAM
- Dissolve the cocoa powder in the warm milk or cream
- In a bowl, beat the butter until creamy and light.
- Beat in the powdered sugar ( icing sugar), the vanilla extract and cocoa mixture. If you find the buttercream too weak or runny, then add in more powdered sugar, a ¼ cup at a time, until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Pipe or spread over the cooled cake.