The perfect alternative to a toasted sandwich, is my new favourite, Grilled Cheese, Corn and Sweet Pepper Quesadilla. It is absolutely scrumptious and makes a great snack or lunch.
February being the month of love , I am sharing the love of my favourite food…..CHEESE of course….lots of gooey melted cheese with corn and sweet pepper sandwiched in crispy grilled tortillas. Now how absolutely yum does that sound.
Remember on Tuesday I shared a tortilla recipe and promised a great filling recipe…well here it is a Grilled Cheese, Corn and Sweet Pepper filling for the tortilla
And a week ago last Monday, I also shared an Easy Hummus Recipe. A really delicious and healthy spread for sandwiches, pita or to be used as a dip for veggie sticks if you like. I managed to save a bit of that hummus ( and believe me, it was not easy hiding it way at the back of the fridge away from the boys just so I could use it in this recipe. ) But sacrifices has to be made and I saved it just in time just enough for this Grilled Cheese, Corn and Sweet Pepper Quesadilla recipe.
This filling is really simple to put together. Sweet red bell pepper is cooked with frozen or canned corn or you could use fresh corn as well. I put these two ingredients in the pan at the same time. It is cooked until the peppers are softened which takes about 8 minutes max.
My obsession with spicy chilli food does not stop here or anywhere. So chilli flakes are included and to make it more crazy I add a bit of chilli powder or cayenne pepper to the pepper and corn. But chilli is totally optional so you decide on how much or little or if any to add to this filling.
How to make the Grilled Cheese, Corn and
Sweet Pepper Quesadilla
Chop up some shallots / scallions for a pungent taste and to add that beautiful green colour. At the last minute decided to sprinkle on some dried mixed herbs and do you know, it tasted a bit like a pizza. I LOVE pizza too ….just letting you know 😉
The hummus which I saved was carefully removed from its hiding spot in the fridge and spread onto one side of the tortilla ,topped with the cooked peppers, corn and mixed dried herbs. And then the crowning glory …..CHEESE, lots of grated or sliced cheese is layered on the pepper mixture. Covered with another tortilla, it is cut into 4 pieces and grilled on a hot pan. You can grill it before cutting into 4, but I seriously do not trust my flipping skills and so I cut it first before grilling…I just find it easier to handle the smaller portions.
This recipe makes the filling for just 1 or 2 servings, so adjust the amount according to the size of your tortilla and the number of people you are preparing this for.
So serve as a snack or lunch or how about as a delicious weekend breakfast….whichever way, I know that you are going to love it…. Have a great weekend !
Grilled Cheese, Corn and Sweet Pepper Quesadilla
- ½ cup / 90g frozen or canned sweetcorn
- ½ medium sized sweet red bell diced
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or chilli powder adjust to taste NOTE 1
- ¼ teaspoon dried chilli flakes optional
- 2 Tablespoons hummus
- 2 flour tortillas
- ¼ cup / 25g grated or sliced cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Add the garlic, chopped peppers, sweetcorn chilli powder, and chilli flakes, if using and cook for about 8 minutes until the pepper is softened.
- Spread the hummus onto one side of a tortilla and top with the cooked sweetcorn and pepper mixture.
- Grate the cheese over the corn and pepper mixture and add mixed dried herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with the other tortilla and cut into 4 equal portions before grilling on a hot pan. You could grill it first before cutting, I just find it easier to handle in a smaller portion.
- Grill for ½ minute on each side, until the cheese has melted and the tortilla is crispy.
- Serve hot.