These Apple Snack Cakes are an irresistible any day, any time treat and they're incredibly easy to make. So when a sweet craving hits, you can have these cakes prepared, baked, and ready to enjoy in less than an hour!
Not only are they quick to make, but they're also delicious - a cinnamon-scented cake with a soft crumb, filled with apple chunks.
Serve plain, or with a light dusting of powdered sugar.
Or for a sweeter treat, frost with a simple caramel glaze, made from brown sugar and heavy cream. Made in under 10 minutes, it's so much simpler to make than classic caramel but just as tasty.
Which baking pan to use
I made these snack cakes using a 12-cavity non stick square brownie pan.
If you don't have one, you can use a 9-inch (23 cm) square baking pan and cut the cake into pieces after baking.
You will need about three medium-sized or 4 small apples (about ¾ pound) peeled, cored and chopped.
If using a 9 inch (23cm) square baking pan, then chop the apples into approximately ½ inch ( 1 ½ cm) cubes.
If using your non stick square brownie pan, then dice them smaller, into approximately ¼ inch (6mm) pieces.
This is just the overview so you can see the process. When you are baking, you’ll want to use the full recipe at the bottom of the page.
- Preheat the oven to 356° F (180° C / 160° C fan)
- If using a 9-inch (23 cm) square baking pan : Grease and line the baking pan with parchment paper. Leave an overhang of parchment paper making it easy to lift out the cake after baking.
- If using a non stick square brownie pan: Ensure to generously coat each cavity with cooking spray or butter for easy release.
- In a medium bowl, combine and whisk 2 cups (240g) all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda), ½ teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- In a separate large bowl, beat together 2 large eggs and 1 cup (200g) white granulated sugar with an electric mixer on high speed.
- Ensure that you continue beating for 4 - 5 minutes or until the mixture is pale in color.
- Add 1 cup (240 ml) plain unflavored yogurt or sour cream, ½ cup (120ml) vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Beat on low speed until just combined, about 30 seconds.
- Add the flour mixture, ⅓ at a time, beating on low speed with each addition just until combined. Do not overmix or cupcakes will turn out dense. You can also use handheld whisk or spatula to mix in the flour.
- Gently mix the chopped apples into the batter until evenly distributed.
- If using a 12 cavity brownie pan: Fill each cavity about halfway with the batter. Bake for 18 - 22 minutes or until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- If using a 9 inch (23 cm) pan: Pour the mixture into the lined baking pan. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Leave in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Make the glaze (optional)
- When the cake is cool, make the glaze: In a medium or large pot combine ¼ cup (60g) butter, ⅓ cup (65g) brown sugar, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ cup (60ml) heavy / whipping cream.
- Bring to a full boil and continue to boil over medium heat for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in ¼ cup (30g) powdered sugar (icing) sugar until smooth
- Immediately pour over the cooled cake. Spread evenly across the cake and let set for at least 15 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped pecans or any nuts if preferred.
Tips for making Apple Snack cakes
- Decorating: You can choose to decorate with sifted powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, or serve plain since the caramel glaze is optional.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before preparing the glaze. The glaze firms up as it cools, so should be prepared just before pouring over the cake.
- Pour the glaze immediately after preparing over the cooled cake so you get a smooth consistency frosting. The glaze sets to a slightly soft fudgy texture as it cools.
How to store Apple Snack cake
At room temperature: Covered or in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
In the fridge: Glazed Apple snack cake should be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days
In the freezer: Freeze the completely cooled cake without the glaze in plastic wrap or store in an airtight container for up to one month. Defrost completely before glazing.
Want even more delicious recipes? Subscribe free to receive new post notifications emailed to you. Or follow along on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram. If you love sharing recipes please come and join my All about cooking and baking Facebook group or Subscribe to my YouTube channel