Are you looking to make a delicious bread with minimal effort and no rising time? Then I have you covered with my Easy 4 ingredient no knead no rise Beer Bread. A classic, hearty loaf, it's perfect spread with butter, dipping in soups or enjoying on its own.
With the simplicity of ingredients and method, this recipe is an absolute game changer for bakers on all skill levels.
Fresh bread ready from prep to baked in under an hour! Let's get baking!
First a brief guide to ingredients and their substitutes
- Self rising flour: If you do not have self rising flour, you can easily make your own. By whisking together 1 cup of all purpose flour, 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder (NOT baking soda) and ¼ teaspoon of salt, you will get the equivalent of 1 cup of self rising flour.
- White granulated sugar: Helps balance out the bitterness of the beer and add a touch of sweetness to the bread. A lighter beer normally requires less sugar than a darker beer - so the amount of sugar might vary slightly according to the beer and your personal taste. You could also substitute the sugar with other sweeteners like honey or maple syrup.
- Beer: Doesn't matter whether you use alcoholic or non alcoholic beer, it turns out fine with either one.It's a perfectly family friendly bread, even if you use alcoholic beer - since the alcohol cooks off easily in the oven. Either warm or cold will work. a lighter flavored beer will produce a flavor similar to traditional yeast bread. I used Heineken Zero Non Alcohol Beer in this recipe.
Tips for the perfect 4 ingredient beer bread
- Use fresh carbonated (with fizz, not flat) beer when making this recipe: Remember, the yeast and carbonation in the beer helps the bread to rise and become more airy. If you use flat beer (without fizz) the bread will not rise and will produce a dense, dry loaf.
- Do not overmix the dough: This is a quick easy bread - so mix just until all the ingredients are combined. Over mixing the dough can result in a dense loaf.
- Cool the bread for at least 15 minutes before slicing: I promise the wait is worth it. Take a walk in the garden, enjoy a cup of tea or admire your homemade beer bread- just wait those 15 to 20 minutes. Most of the steam will escape during this time, rewarding you with perfect slices which are not doughy.
- Enjoy with added ingredients: Don't let the simplicity of this recipe fool you. Even though it's absolutely amazing on its own - add-ins can add a special touch for any occassion or meal. Here's a great recipe with added jalapenos and cheese if you would like to give it a try. No knead CheesyJalapeño Beer Bread
- Bake in any pan: Get creative with your bread. Bake in a cast iron pot for a rustic looking bread or a loaf pan for a traditional classic look.
Options for the crust
The following is optional but adds a decorative touch or texture to the crust
- Dust the top of the bread with flour: gives the baked bread a beautifully rustic look. This is especially attractive when baked in a cast iron pot. This step should be done before placing the bread in the oven.
- Brush the baked crust with a beaten egg yolk or milk: Before baking - Brushing the dough with milk or egg yolk before baking gives the baked bread a tender, golden crust
- Brush the baked crust with butter: After baking- You could either rub a small block of butter or brush melted butter over the baked crust. Butter softens the crust if that's what you prefer.
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out my other amazing bread recipes
Still hungry for more?