Aren’t these Chocolate Strawberry Sandwich cookies just so pretty? With a strawberry jam flavoured buttercream sandwiched between two melt in your mouth chocolate cookies, they taste just as good as they look.
I love how chocolate and strawberry go so well together, in taste and in the beautiful contrasting colours. Whenever I get a box of chocolates, I love picking out the strawberry filled chocolates first. They are so yum
Since a box of chocolates is not an option today, I am going with my other favorite, these amazing cookies. Prepared and baked in under 30 minutes, these are about to become your favorite too.
These cookies are really easy to make, with all the ingredients mixed in one bowl, rolled into balls and pressed lightly with a fork. They take between 8 to 10 minutes to bake, and then sandwiched with buttercream.
Just 2 tablespoons of strawberry jam is needed to flavour the buttercream, so you don’t need to have fresh strawberries for this recipe
A Few tips when making the Chocolate Strawberry Sandwich cookies
- If you find that the dough is too soft to roll, then place in the fridge for a few minutes, this will help it firm up a bit, making it easier to roll
- Try not to over bake these cookies, they should still be slightly soft when you remove it from the oven. It continues baking for a few more minutes on the hot pan after it has been removed from the oven.
- Leave it on the pan and avoid moving it to a cooling rack. While these cookies are warm, they may break or crack when you pick them up. Allow it to cool completely on the pan.
- Fill the cookies with the buttercream only when it completely cooled.
Easy quick and so delicious
- ½ cup /125g butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup /115g all purpose / cake flour
- 1/4 cup / 40g powdered sugar / confectioners / icing sugar
- 2 Tablespoons /14g cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons /18g cornflour / cornstarch
- 1 cup / 125 g powdered / confectioners / icing sugar
- 1 ½ Tablespoons / 20 g butter at room temperature
- 1 tsp / 5 ml vanilla essence
- 3 Tablespoons strawberry jam
- Just a drop of pink food colouring optional
Preheat the oven to 320°F / 160°C and line a baking trays with parchment / baking paper.
Place the butter into a bowl and beat with hand-held beaters until pale and fluffy.
Add in the flour, powdered sugar, cocoa powder and cornflour / cornstarch and mix until combined.
Roll the mixture into small balls and place onto the prepared tray. This recipe makes about 20 single cookies
Press down gently with a fork.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until just baked through.(Avoid overbaking) SEE NOTE 1
Leave to cool completely on the baking pan before filling with the buttercream
To make the filling, beat all the buttercream ingredients together until smooth and creamy.
Sandwich the cookies with the buttercream and dust with powdered sugar if preferred
Try not to overbake these cookies, they should still be slightly soft when you remove it from the oven. It continues baking for a few more minutes on the hot pan after it has been removed from the oven.