Three Cheese Garlic Puffs with Homemade Dough, a great recipe to add to your appetizer platter.
A buttermilk rich crust, filled with cream cheese, baked and then brushed with a garlic herb butter and rolled in parmesan, watch these delicious little bites disappear off the plate in record time.
Many recipes use refrigerated biscuit or premade dough when making cheese bombs and because this type of dough is not available in some countries, this makes a great recipe option.
The dough does not have yeast, and there is no kneading....in fact it is really quick and easy and takes just 5 minutes to make the dough. It is important not to overhandle the dough, just mix and gather the dough together.
Overmixing will result in a tough and chewy dough and that is not a good idea at all.
The dough is then refrigerated for about 10 minutes, rolled out into a 50 x 75inch ( 20 x 30cm )rectangular shape and then cut out into 20 little squares.
Each square is spread with a bit of cream cheese and a piece of cheddar or mozzarella is placed in the square, folded and rolled into a ball.
It is then baked, removed from the oven and brushed with garlic butter and rolled in finely grated parmesan. Super easy and delicious.
These are actually best served warm.
Here in my home, these do not even get the chance to reach the warm stage, they are snatched off the baking tray after it has been brushed with garlic butter and parmesan and is still piping hot when eaten.
I don't blame the boys, because our home smells so good when these are baking. It is that irresistible bread/ cheese baking aroma. So yummy.
Three Cheese Garlic Puffs
- 2 cups /250g cake or all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon /15g granulated white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ teaspoon / 10g baking powder
- 5 tablespoon / 70g cold butter cut into small cubes
- ¾ cup / 200g buttermilk SEE NOTE 1
- Cream cheese for spreading on dough about 4 Tablespoons
- 5 oz /140g Mozzarella or Cheddar cubed
- For brushing the tops
- 2 tablespoon / 30g butter
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- garlic chives chopped ( optional)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- In a bowl whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder. Using your fingertips, rub in the butter or margarine.
- Stir in the buttermilk and knead gently to bring it together. Do not over handle the dough. Refrigerate the dough for 10 minutes
- Lightly dust the surface or board with flour and roll the dough into a 50 x 75inch ( 20 x 30cm )
rectangle. Cut in 20 pieces.
- Spread a bit of cream cheese onto each piece and place a cube of cheese onto the dough.
- Fold the dough around the cheese and roll into a ball, ensuring that it is well sealed
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 180° C / 350 ° F until lightly brown.
- While it is baking prepare the garlic butter by melting the butter or margarine in a small pan, add garlic, mixed herbs and chopped garlic chives if using and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Remove the cheese and garlic puffs from the oven and brush the tops with the garlic butter mixture.
- Roll in parmesan ( OPTIONAL)
- Serve hot.