Sweetcorn and Red Bell Pepper Fried pastries make scrumptious savoury treats. The pastry is light and the filling is a mixture of sweet and spicy.... absolutely perfect.
These pastries are best eaten straight after cooking, otherwise, like most fried foods, it gets soggy when left for too long. But don't worry, they will be cleared off the plate, long before they have any chance of cooling ... spoken from experience, of course
Don't stress about the pastry making, this is a really simple and quick pastry to prepare Consisting of just 4 ingredients and taking just 5 minutes to prepare the pastry...this is a super simple recipe.
MAKING THE PASTRY
It is really better to prepare the pastry first and leave it aside, before making the filling. You will find that it actually rolls out better after it is left for a while, not too long, just until the filling is cooked, say for about 10 minutes.
The dough is rolled into a circle about 6 inches across and cut in half. It is then filled with the cooked Sweetcorn and pepper filling. Just fold the pastry over the filling and seal the edges. It is best to gently fold up the edges to seal the pastry, rather than just pinching it closed or pressing it down with a fork. Make sure that the edges are well sealed because if the sweetcorn comes out of the pastry while frying it tends to start popping and can cause the oil to splatter.
The filled pastries are then deep-fried on medium heat for about 4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
MAKING THE FILLING
Making the filling is just as quick and simple, where you just dice the peppers and fry it in a little oil with diced onion. Cook for a few minutes and then add your sweetcorn, I usually use the frozen sweetcorn, but if you have fresh or canned sweetcorn that would be perfect too. Sweetcorn cooks really fast, so your filling should be done in 10 minutes. Then just crumble over some feta and chopped chives or fresh coriander if you prefer. Season with salt and pepper. If you are using feta, then cut down a bit on the added salt, because feta is really salty on its own.
So here you have it, a great fried appetizer or snack recipe. Absolutely delicious and super simple.
Okay, all this writing about these pastries has really gotten me hungry right now, so I am going grab one or maybe two pastries with a cup of coffee!
Sweetcorn and Red Bell Pepper Fried Pastries
- 1¾ cups ( 210 g ) all purpose or cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup ( 80 ml ) melted margarine or butter
- ½ cup ( 125 ml ) of warm water
Sweetcorn and red bell pepper filling
- 2 cups ( 350 g ) frozen sweetcorn
- 1 small red bell pepper diced
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1 Tablespoon ( 15 ml ) canola or sunflower oil
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder or cayenne pepper optional
- ¼ cup ( 50 g ) feta roughly crumbled
- chives or fresh coriander
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for deep frying pastries
TO MAKE THE PASTRY
- Combine flour and salt in a bowl.
- Add the melted butter or margarine, and rub it between your fingertips until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the warm water and mix it together to form a soft dough. Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic... for about 3-4 minutes.
- Cover with a clean cloth and leave aside while you prepare the filling.
TO MAKE THE FILLING
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft. Once the onion is soft , add the diced bell peppers and cook for 5 minutes. Put in the chilli powder or cayenne pepper if using.
- Add the sweetcorn and cook for about 5 to 10 minutes. Season to taste
- Remove from the heat and crumble the feta over the cooked sweetcorn and pepper mix.
ASSEMBLING THE PASTRY
- Break off 10 equal sized pieces from the dough. Using a rolling pin, roll out each piece into a six inch disk. Cut the disk in half. Place a teaspoon of the cooked filling onto the pastry on one half and fold over to form a triangle and to cover. Seal by making a small fold on the edges. Do the same for the rest of the pastry.
- Heat enough oil on medium to deep fry the filled pastries. Fry for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and drain the pastries on paper towel and serve warm