Ultra fluffy and light these Sweet Milk Rolls are delicious served warm with just a spread of butter or cream cheese. Brushed with a sugar glaze they look and taste amazing
I am so in love with these sweet milk rolls. The smell of these baking is amazing and they taste so good.
Enjoy them buttered for breakfast or toasted the next day with some grated cheese. Just so yum! I don’t want to keep them all to myself, so let me tell you how it is made.
MAKING THE SWEET MILK ROLLS
Instead of milk powder, I use milk and cream in these rolls. I never use milk powder because, well I never really use it in my baking or cooking.
Milk powder is a bit pricey as well and I don’t want to be limited in something which I like to bake regularly. Whole or full cream milk works out just perfectly in creating these super soft and delicious rolls.
The flour, salt, and yeast are first combined in a large bowl. In my bread recipes, I only use instant yeast. It is added directly into the flour, making it easy and convenient.
Next, the milk and cream are heated until warm, but not too hot and added to the flour mix. Combine these ingredients with a fork and then empty it out onto a floured board.
Knead well for about 8 minutes to form a soft dough.
The dough is then left to rise for about an hour until doubled in size. It is then shaped into rolls and placed into a greased and lined pan. Use baking paper if you do not have a nonstick pan. Allow the baking paper to hang over the sides of the tin.
This will make it easier to lift out of the tin once baked. The rolls are baked for 20 minutes, removed from the oven and glazed in warm sugar syrup.
These rolls are best eaten on the day it is baked. However if by some miracle you do have leftovers ( it’s been known to happen in my home too) then just warm for a few seconds it in the microwave.
It softens up perfectly. You also could just split it in half, place it in a pan on the stove and toast it.
Whether you eat these for breakfast or as dinner rolls I just know that you are going to absolutely love it.
Sweet Milk Rolls
FOR THE ROLLS
- 2 cups / 240g all purpose / cake flour
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ cup / 50 g white sugar
- ½ cup / 125 ml heavy / whipping / fresh cream
- ½ cup / 125ml milk
FOR THE SUGAR GLAZE
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons hot water
FOR THE ROLLS
- Warm the cream and milk in a pot on the stove until warm, but not too hot.
- Add the flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Make a well in the center and pour the warmed milk and cream into the flour mixture. Mix with a fork until combined and turn out onto a floured surface and knead well for about 8 to 10 minutes to form a soft dough. Place the dough back into the bowl and leave in a warm place for an hour until doubled in size.
- Grease a pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Allow the parchment paper to hang over the sides of the tin. This will make it easier to lift out of the tin once baked.
- After an hour, punch down the dough and divide the dough into 8 or 9 equal portions and shape into rolls and place into the greased and lined pan. Leave to rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes, until double in size
- Bake in a preheated oven of 350°F / 180°C for about 15 to 20 minutes.
FOR THE GLAZE
- Dissolve the sugar in the hot water and stir to form a thick syrup. Using a brush, glaze the warm baked rolls with this syrup.