Spicy Sweetcorn and Cheese Loaf, a savoury rustic bread with the most amazing and bold flavours. Four of my favourite ingredients, chilli, sweetcorn, cheese and chives, really bring out the magic in this loaf.
Working together to create a great bread to be eaten on its own or as a great accompaniment with soups stews or even salads.
For the past few days, a slice of this loaf and coffee has been my breakfast. Spread with cottage cheese, chopped chives and dried chilli flakes, it tastes just so good. It also serves as a quick and convenient make-ahead breakfast or snack.
The good news is that it is really easy to make and contains simple ingredients, which I always have in my kitchen and you might have in yours too.
No special equipment needed
Besides being easy to make and using simple ingredients, this recipe requires no special equipment.
Just 2 bowls, one for the dry ingredients and another for the wet ingredients. A fork or whisk is used to combine the two, and is simply emptied into a loaf pan. Pretty perfect don’t you think?
Making the Spicy Sweetcorn and Cheese Loaf
For this recipe, I used my 3lb traditional deep farmhouse loaf tin which measures approximately 13x5x3 inches ((35x14x10cm
If you do not have a tin which is this size, then you can divide the mixture in half and use either two square or round 9 inches / 23cm tins.
Fresh or frozen sweetcorn can be used for this loaf. Coat the sweetcorn in a tablespoon of flour first. This is to prevent the corn from sinking to the bottom of the bread while baking.
The eggs, melted butter, buttermilk, and milk are mixed. This is added to the dry ingredients which are a mixture of sweetcorn flour, chives or scallions, cheese, dry chilli flakes and salt.
Spoon and level the mixture in your preferred pan and bake for 30 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Brushing the top of the loaf with melted butter after baking gives the loaf a shiny finish. , it also softens the crust a bit and you get that delicious buttery taste.
How to serve this loaf
Spread with cottage cheese or butter or serve with your favourite soup or stew.
Or try toasting a slice, top with an egg and serve with a salad. A great loaf adding so much of vibrance and flavour to any dish…this is comfort food at its best.
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out my other amazing bread recipes
Still hungry for more?
Spicy Sweetcorn and Cheese Loaf
- 2 cups / 350g fresh or frozen sweetcorn coated in 1 tablespoon of flour
- 4 cups / 500g all purpose or cake flour
- 4 teaspoons / 16g baking powder
- 4 to 6 chives or scallions finely chopped
- 1 cup / 113g / 4oz grated cheese
- Dried chili flakes use according to taste
- 2 teaspoons fine salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup / 125ml melted butter
- 2 cups / 500ml buttermilk
- ½ cup / 125ml milk
- Grease and line a loaf pan. SEE NOTE 1
- In a bowl, mix the coated sweetcorn with the flour, baking powder ,chives or scallions, cheese,chilli flakes and salt. ( Dry ingredients )
- Whisk eggs, melted butter, buttermilk,and milk together. ( Wet ingredients )
- Stir wet ingredients through dry ingredients. Mix only until the mixture is combined. Do not overmix. Overmixing the batter will cause the loaf to have a dry texture.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake in a preheated oven of 350°F/180°C for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and brush the top of the loaf with about 1 tablespoon of melted butter.
- This recipe can make either two 9x5 inch / 23x13cm ( 2 lb) loaves or 1 large 13x5 inch / 35x14 loaf (3 lb)