These Oats and Raisin cookies make the perfect tea time or lunch box treat. Easy to make and quick to bake these cookies are irresistibly delicious.
Besides making a great lunch box snack which I thought was a better idea, my husband decided that this makes a perfect breakfast with a glass of milk. I thought it was a wee bit too sweet for breakfast but he disagreed and ate them first thing in the morning anyway. So whose side are you on with this? Breakfast or lunch box snack? Choose wisely now…wisely meaning me!?
This recipe has golden syrup and brown sugar that gives these cookies its sweet taste. The combination of the syrup and brown sugar is responsible for the chewy texture of these cookies. Oh and the raisins also add to the sweetness to some degree. If the stores in your area do not keep golden syrup, a good substitute will be corn syrup. It will taste just as good with this substitution. So you see this little snack is full of different textures from the chewiness to the crunchiness of the oats and desiccated coconut. Really amazing.
So whether you are going to enjoy this as a tea time snack, breakfast or raw cookie dough( though I strongly suggest you bake it first) ?these little delights make a great treat!
Oats and Raisin cookies
- 80 g butter or margarine
- 60 ml / ¼ cup golden syrup or corn syrup
- 60 ml / ¼ cup buttermilk or plain yoghurt
- 140 g / 1 cup cake / all purpose flour
- 80 g / 1 cup oats
- 80 g / 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 100 g / brown sugar
- 40 g / ¼ cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper or spray with cooking spray.
- Place the butter or margarine and golden syrup in a saucepan over low heat until the butter has melted and is cool, then mix in the buttermilk or yoghurt.
- Combine the flour, oats, coconut, sugar and raisins together.
- Add the melted butter mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined and a stiff dough forms.
- Shape and flatten with a fork
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool and store in an airtight container.