Take your cupcake baking to the next level with these ice cream flavour Neapolitan Cupcakes. Gorgeous little cakes, perfect for a bridal shower, baby shower or a party centrepiece, bound to totally impress your guests.
I know that some of you are heading towards the colder months now, but hey you can still enjoy the classic Neapolitan ice cream flavours....in a cupcake.
Half chocolate flavoured and half vanilla flavoured and then topped with a swirl of strawberry and vanilla frosting. Now can you say no to that?
This has always been my favourite ice cream, but I must admit , I love the chocolate part a wee bit more than the vanilla and strawberry. So I added in a bit more of the chocolate batter. Hey, it's CHOCOLATE can you blame me?.
Now, this can be done in two ways, you can either layer the chocolate and vanilla batter or place it side by side in the muffin cup, like I have done here. Both have a beautiful effect, just decide on how you prefer it to look. Once baked allow to cool and get to the fun ( and highly delicious part)...the frosting.
I have become obsessed at the beauty of two-toned frosting, it is so outstanding. I had to try it out, and it is really simple. I prefer to use disposable bags for frosting cakes and cookies.
So let's get to the Neapolitan Cupcakes recipe
FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 1 ¼ cup / 140g cake / all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅔ cup / 160g butter softened
- ¾ cup / 150g sugar
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon / 15ml milk
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder mixed to a paste with 1½ teaspoon hot water
FOR THE FROSTING
- ½ cup / 120g softened butter
- 5 cups / 500g powdered / icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons / 10ml vanilla essence
- 4 teaspoons 20ml milk
- 1 teaspoon smooth strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 356°F / 180°C
TO MAKE THE CUPCAKES
- Place 12 paper cases in a muffin tray.
- Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs and beat until the mixture is creamy.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the beaten butter mixture and mix until well combined.
- Divide the mixture between 2 bowls.
- Beat the vanilla extract and milk into 1 of the bowls and the cocoa powder paste into the other bowl.
- Place alternate teaspoonfuls of the mixture into the paper cases.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 to 15 minutes until risen and firm to the touch.
- Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.
TO MAKE THE FROSTING / ICING
- Cream butter and powdered / icing sugar together.
- Add enough milk to make a smooth spreadable consistency.
- Divide the mixture between 2 bowls and stir in strawberry jam and a little pink food colouring into one of the bowls.
- Add vanilla essence to the white frosting in the other bowl
- Place alternate spoonfuls of the frosting into a large piping bag fitted with a nozzle you prefer..
- Pipe swirls of frosting onto each cupcake.