Mini pumpkin pies are the perfect dessert after a heavy lunch or dinner. Easy and quick to make,watch these little treats disappear from the table in seconds.
Don't you just love mini desserts? Besides it looking absolutely adorable, you can go for seconds or thirds if you like without it being too heavy after dinner or lunch.
The base consists of a light, biscuity pastry...super easy to make and absolutely delicious. Just keep the pastry ingredients cold to create the lightness in the base.
Now the pumpkin filling.....you can use fresh or canned pumpkin. When you use fresh pumpkin, it is first peeled, seeded, cubed and then boiled until soft. I then usually put it into the blender with a bit of water. This makes the mixture a bit runny compared to if you use canned pumpkin. But this doesn't cause much difference to the baked pies because the water from the cooked pumpkin evaporates when it is baking giving it the same end result as the canned pumpkin....so choose which you have or prefer.
These little pies can be prepared and baked up to 3 days in advance and refrigerated. Just warm them up in the oven on low heat or in the microwave until warmed through before serving. Oh and by the way they taste just as good cold. So it is a good idea to take these on a picnic or hey even a road trip snack. Served either way, they taste great.
So whichever way you choose to serve these Mini Pumpkin Pies, dusted with a sprinkling of cinnamon, you can be certain that everybody will love these little bites of delight.
Mini Pumpkin Pies
- FOR THE PASTRY
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour / cake flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup / 114 g butter or margarine chopped
- ¼ cup cold water
- PUMPKIN FILING
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine softened
- 1 egg
- ½ cup heavy / fresh cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice / pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin / 1 cup boiled and mashed or blended pumpkin
- FOR THE PASTRY
- In a medium size bowl mix together flour, sugar and salt.
- Using your fingertips,rub in butter or margarine until crumbly.
- Stir in cold water and mix to form a dough
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- FOR THE PUMPKIN FILLING
- In a large bowl beat white sugar, brown sugar and butter until creamy.
- Mix in egg, heavy cream, flour and vanilla until creamy.
- Fold in pumpkin. ( SEE NOTE 1)
- Remove the chilled pastry from fridge and knead lightly a few times.
- Press little pieces of the pastry into a non stick mini muffin pan.
- Place the pumpkin filling into the pastry
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the centers of the pie is set.
- The filling may be a little wobbly when it comes out of the oven but will set completely as it cools.
- The filling may also sink in a bit as it cools.
- Serve warm or cold with whipped cream and sprinkled with powdered cinnamon.
When you use fresh pumpkin, it is first peeled, seeded, cubed and then boiled until soft. I then usually put it into the blender with a bit of water. This makes the mixture a bit runny compared to if you use canned pumpkin. But this does not cause much difference to the baked pies because the water from the cooked pumpkin evaporates when it is baking giving it the same end result as the canned pumpkin....so choose which you have or prefer.