Nothing beats the smell and taste of freshly baked fruit mince pies, straight from the oven. A tangy mix of warm spices and dried fruit mix filled in homemade short crust pastry. Served with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream for melt in your mouth deliciousness.
Simple and quick to prepare, tangy fruit mince filled in homemade short crust pastry and baked until golden. Dusted with powdered sugar, they make an impressive dessert.
I usually use the jar of fruit mince which you get in stores. Homemade fruit mince is great, but that is a recipe for another day.
Making the fruit mince pies
Fruit mince pies are baked in a shallow tart pan or a deep muffin pan if you prefer. After the pastry has chilled, roll it out to about 4mm thick and cut out the base for each pie.
I used a cookie cutter to cut out the circular bases so that they were the perfect size to fit into the tin but the use of whatever you have to get the right size to fit into your pan.
Line the tart or muffin tin with the cut off bases. Place about a teaspoon of fruit mince into each.
Re-roll the pastry and cut out covers, cutting out decorative stars if you prefer as well. Use this to form a lid on the pie pressing on the edges to seal.
Brush the tops with a little milk and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. After they have cooled, dust with powdered or castor sugar
See how pretty it looks dusted with powdered sugar.
These absolutely delicious little pastries taste so amazing just warm out of the oven, it almost never lasts for dessert, but when it does, it is enjoyed with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for the boys, but just with a cup of coffee for me.
But however you choose to serve fruit mince pies, it is sure to be loved and enjoyed.
Fruit mince pies
- 1 x 454g jar fruit mince / fruit mincemeat
FOR THE PASTRY
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup castor or white granulated sugar
- ¼ cup buttermilk or 5 ml lemon juice mixed into ¼ cup of milk
- 2 cups cake flour / all purpose flour / plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Start by making the pastry by creaming the sugar and butter.
- Add the buttermilk and beat well until light and creamy.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Knead lightly to form a soft dough. Place in the fridge or freezer for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C (160°C fan)
- Roll out the pastry to ( ¼ inch) 4mm thick. Using a round cutter , cut out and place them into greased or sprayed tart or muffin pans
- Put 1 tsp fruit mince mixture into each.
- Re-roll out the pastry to cut out covers and press them on top to seal.
- Brush tops with milk.
- Bake mince pies for 10-15 mins until golden brown.
- Remove from tray and place on cooling rack.
- Dust with sifted powdered sugar.
- Store for up to 3 days in an airtight container.