Prepared and baked in under 30 minutes, these Peanut Butter Shortbread bars are super easy to make. Made with only 4 basic ingredients, it's packed with amazing flavor and the classic light, melt in your mouth texture.
Butter, sugar, peanut butter and flour is all that's required to make the shortbread.
Surprised by the few ingredients and simplicity? Trust me, the taste is absolutely incredible. Plus it's sure to become your new favorite once you try it.
This is the perfect bake with minimal effort whether you're an experienced baker or a beginner in the kitchen.
No more ingredient panic: Tips and substitutes for this recipe
Skip to Full recipe with measurements and method
- Peanut butter: Crunchy or smooth peanut butter works well in this shortbread. I used a sugar free peanut butter for this recipe. A ¼ cup of sugar added the perfect sweetness to the shortbread.
If you are using peanut butter with added sugar, I suggest you cut down on the sugar. Or else the shortbread will be too sweet. 2 - 3 Tablespoons ( 25g - 37g) should be sufficient when using peanut butter with added sugar.
- Butter: The butter should be at room temperature, but not melted. Room temperature butter mixes well and more easily with the sugar, compared to cold butter.
- Sugar: White granulated OR castor sugar
- Flour: Either all purpose OR cake flour works perfectly in this recipe.
- Leave an overhang of parchment paper when lining the pan - This makes it easier to remove the baked shortbread. However if you are using a springform or loose bottomed baking pan, you don't need to leave an overhang.
- Avoid overworking the dough - The baked shortbread has more of a delicate texture. Overworking the dough can make it tough and dense.
- Pre slice before baking - Use a sharp knife to slice the pressed out dough into pieces before baking. This will make it easier to break or cut the shortbread into individual pieces after it's baked.
- Crisp or soft - The baking time suggested in the recipe below is for a crisp shortbread. Reduce the baking time by 5 minutes If you prefer a softer shortbread.
- Cool before removing from the pan - Allow the baked peanut butter shortbread to cool in the pan before taking it out. It will become more firm as it cools. When warm, the shortbread is still delicate and can easily break if removed too early.
How to make Easy Peanut Butter Shortbread bars
Visual only: Full recipe with with ingredient measurements and method below
Still hungry for more?