A fun twist on the classic shortbread recipe, this Double Chocolate Chip Shortbread filled with chocolate chips and dipped in chocolate, is so delicious and rich with that full buttery shortbread taste.
I love shortbread on its own, but adding a bit of chocolate chips and dipping it in melted chocolate creates a delicious twist on an already great recipe.
The great thing about shortbread is that it uses minimal and basic ingredients which gives it such amazing flavour.
Since shortbread recipes uses very few ingredients, I always try to use a good quality butter. This I find is the main ingredient,in a shortbread recipe which largely contributes to the flavour and texture of any shortbread.
MAKING THE DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CHIP SHORTBREAD
This is an easy dough to put together, made by simply beating the butter and confectioners sugar together and sifting in the flour.
- Mix together with a spatula or spoon and then fold in the chocolate chips.
- The butter used in the recipe is at room temperature, so the dough is going to be very soft.
- To be able to cut it into shapes, it is best to to place it in the refrigerator for about thirty minutes to an hour.
- Place the dough on a large sheet of foil. Then fold the foil over the dough to cover it.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the top of the foil pressing out the dough beneath it to about a ¼ inch thick.
- Place it on a flat surface in the fridge for up to an hour. Cut with a knife or cookie cutters of any shape you prefer.
- Place cut out shapes on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes.
- The shortbread should still be a pale color and lightly browned on the edges when you remove it from the oven.
- Leave on the tray for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When cool dip in chocolate and place on parchment paper to dry and set. The chocolate should be completely dry before you place and store it into an air tight jar.
- The shortbread should keep fresh in an airtight jar for up to 5 day.