I really could not think of any other way to describe this cake other than a really Decadent Carrot Cake. Because that is what it is. delightfully moist, decadent, rich, and definitely not a regular carrot cake recipe. This will no doubt make an excellent celebration cake. So if you are baking a cake for any special occasion, this is a great recipe for the cake.
What I really love about carrot cakes is just how timeless and classic they are. Just like the beautiful victoria sponge, stunning marble cakes and the gorgeous red velvet cake, the carrot cake will always be a timeless masterpiece. Recipes for carrot cake is passed down many generations in a family or through friends, sometimes it is altered along the line or it stays intact. Isn’t it fascinating how some recipes can live forever?
There are also many “disputes” about which ingredients are a MUST for the perfect carrot cake. Some argue that it has to contain pecans or raisins. I think that it is really up to you to decide which flavouring ingredients you prefer. The most important factor for me in a carrot cake recipe is that it has to be moist …..NOT DRY. And even more important the cream cheese frosting….has to be perfectly smooth and not too sweet. This recipe delivers just that!
This recipe uses golden syrup/maple syrup which adds to the golden colour and intensifies the flavour of the carrot cake. This is optional so if you cannot or do not have this ingredient, it is fine to leave it out of the recipe.
I have used the same recipe to bake a double layer cake…like the ones in the pictures, I have used it to make a sheet cake and cupcakes or muffins( without the frosting). So you decide in whichever way you choose to use this recipe because it will always turn out perfect.
- 2 ¼ cup / 280g all purpose / cake flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda / bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup / 200ml /sunflower or canola oil
- ¾ cup / 225g brown sugar
- 125 ml / ½ cup golden syrup / maple syrup, ( optional ) SEE NOTE 1
- 2 cups grated carrot
- ¼ cup pecans, ( optional )
- ½ cup raisins, ( optional )
- ⅓ cup / 80g butter softened
- ½ cup / 120g full fat cream cheese or creamed cottage cheese
- 2 cups / 250g powdered / icing sugar sifted
- Chopped pecans to decorate ( optional )
Preheat the oven to 170°C. / 325°F / Gas mark 3
Grease and line two 9 inch / 23cm round cake tins
In a bowl, sift together the flour, spices, baking soda (bicarbonate of soda), baking powder and salt
In a separate bowl mix the maple / golden syrup ( if using) eggs, oil and sugar
Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk or beat well until there are no lumps.
Add in the carrot and the nuts and raisins( if using) and pour into the prepared tin.
Bake for about 30 - 40 minutes until a skewer or knife inserted comes away clean. SEE NOTE 2
Leave to cool slightly in the tin before turning it out, and allow to cool completely before icing/frosting
Beat the butter until light and smooth.
Add the cream cheese or creamed cottage cheese and beat until they are combined.
Add in the powdered / icing sugar and mix gently.
Once combined spread the frosting/icing on the top and sides of the cake or as desired.
Decorate with a few extra nuts if using
- This recipe uses golden syrup/maple syrup which adds to the golden colour and intensifies the flavour of the carrot cake. This is optional so if you cannot or do not have this ingredient, it is fine to leave it out of the recipe.
- Shape foil into a dome and cover cake halfway through baking if you find that it is browning too quickly before being baked.
Level the top of the cake by slicing a bit off the top before frosting /icing.