Convenient, easy, healthy and delicious, the mixture for these 30 Day Healthy Buttermilk Bran Muffins can be made ahead, stored in the refrigerator for up to 30 days and then used as needed.
Whenever I think of a quick breakfast, I think muffins. Don’t you just love make-ahead breakfasts and snacks? It saves so much of time on busy mornings and you can be assured that you or your family will be eating something substantial. These muffins have always come in handy on these busy days.
With this recipe, you can keep the mixture refrigerated for up to 30 days. How amazing and convenient is that! Meaning that you can whip up the batter, which takes just 5 minutes and bake it as you need it OR you could bake up the entire batch and freeze the baked muffins for up to 3 months
Made with buttermilk, these muffins are soft and airy with a tender crumb. Served freshly baked, and buttered, this is one heavenly breakfast.
YOU CAN SUBSTITUTE INGREDIENTS AS WELL
I love using currants or raisins as well in these muffins, it gives it a great taste. However, leave out the raisins if you do not like it and add nuts or dried fruit …it tastes just as great. Wheat bran or digestive bran is used in this recipe as well. This can be found in the flour section of your grocery store. If you cannot find bran then simply leave it out and use whole wheat or wholemeal flour in place of the all-purpose/ cake flour in the recipe.
PERFECT MUFFINS EVERYTIME
- I am sure that you’ve heard that you should never overmix muffin batter. The reason is that when you do overmix, the muffins turn out too dense and heavy. So how much mixing should you do? Just enough to moisten, even if there are a few bits of flour visible, it’s fine. I just use a fork to fold the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients. No crazy mixing with my hand-held beater.
- Bake muffins on the middle shelf of your oven at a moderate temperature.
- Grease muffin pans well or use paper cups or little squares of baking paper.
And that’s it, just follow these simple tips to get perfect muffins every time.
So whether you are having these muffins for lunch or breakfast or just a snack, I know that you are going to love it.
30 Day Healthy Buttermilk Bran Muffins
- 2½ cups (350g)all purpose / cake flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) baking soda / bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon (5) ml salt
- 2 cups (90g)wheat bran / digestive bran See note 1
- 1½ cups (300g) brown sugar
- 1 cup (150g) raisins or currants See note 2
- ½ cup (125ml) buttermilk
- ½ cup (125ml) sunflower or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla essence
- 2 cups (500ml) milk
- Add all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix together with a fork
- In a separate bowl, add all wet ingredients together mix until combined
- Take the bowl with the dry ingredients and make a well in the center.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the center of the dry ingredients and mix lightly until just combined. Do not overmix, the mixture should still be lumpy.
- Spoon the mixture into muffin pans, filling each about ⅔ full.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 350°F° ( 180°C) for 15-20 minutes until baked and golden brown.
- Remove baked muffins from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
2. Leave out the raisins and substitute with nuts or dried fruit if you prefer. 3.You can keep the mixture refrigerated for up to 30 days in an airtight container OR you could bake up the entire batch and freeze the baked muffins for up to 3 months