Healthy and light Butter Chicken
Do you love butter chicken but not too thrilled with the calories that come with it? Then I have a great recipe for you with this Healthy and Light Butter Chicken. Still full of delicious flavor and creaminess, just without the added calories
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder ( adjust to taste )
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 5 ml / 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 x 16-ounce can chopped tomato, drained see note 1
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- salt to taste
- 1 pound chicken breast, cubed ( about 4 small chicken breasts)
- 1 cup Greek or plain unflavoured yogurt
- chopped coriander leaves to garnish
Empty the can of chopped tomatoes into a blender and pulse / blend until smooth, about half a minute
Heat the butter, add the onion and fry until tender.
Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook briefly before adding the chilli powder, turmeric, cumin and garam masala
Stir for a minute before adding the blended and smooth Tomato and brown sugar Season to taste, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the yoghurt and allow to cook for about 2 minutes then add the chicken, covering it with the sauce. and simmer for a further 10 -15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce slightly reduced and thickened.
Reduce the heat to low when the chicken has cooked and allow to sit in the sauce for 10 more minutes to allow the flavours to be absorbed well into the chicken.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with naan or basmati rice.
- Use one cup (200g) chopped fresh tomatoes as an alternative to canned tomatoes.
Serving: 4people | Calories: 1072kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 141g | Fat: 32g | Cholesterol: 323mg | Sugar: 47g | Iron: 1mg