Cheese Mushroom and Egg Breakfast Pita
Cheese Mushroom and Egg Breakfast Pita makes the perfect weekend brunch or breakfast. Deliciousness made real easy with Homemade Pita, a spread of cream cheese, spicy mushrooms, a slice of melty cheese and topped with a crispy fried egg. So good right ?
- 1 Tablespoon / 14g butter
- 1 small red or white onion chopped
- 3 cups / 250g brown or white mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 or 3 sprigs of fresh thyme or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 Tablespoons / 72g cream cheese or cottage cheese
- crumbled feta optional
- 4 slices of cheese I used cheddar
- 4 fried eggs
- 4 baked pita breads SEE NOTE 1
- dried chilli flakes to your taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to your taste
- Garnish with lettuce and cherry tomatoes optional
On medium heat,melt the butter in a pan. Add in the chopped onion, garlic, chilli flakes and thyme and cook until the onions are softened, about 3 minutes.
Stir in the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Remove from the heat and set aside.
Warm the pita bread either on a pan on the stove or in the microwave for a few seconds.
Spread cream cheese and add a slice of cheese on the pita. Divide the cooked mushrooms into 4 equal portions and spoon the portions on each of the pita breads.
Using another pan, fry the eggs to how you prefer, season to taste and top the mushrooms with the egg.
Serve with lettuce and tomatoes and crumbled feta if you prefer.