Three Cheese Vegetable Bake
A delicious combination of vegetables folded in a creamy sauce and sprinkled with parmesan makes Three Cheese Vegetable Bake a perfect accompaniment for roasts, sausages or just eat on its own.
- 4 cups / 600g of frozen or assorted vegetables cut into large chunks a good selection is cauliflower, carrots, broccolli, butternut, baby marrow
- 250 ml / 1 cup water
- 3 Tablespoons / 60g butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup / 30g plain / cake / all purpose flour
- 2 cups / 500 ml milk
- ¼ teaspoon grated or ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup / 113g / 4oz grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup / 56 g / grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tablepoons / 10 g grated parmesan
- ½ teaspoon peri peri spice optional
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder optional
Steam the vegetables in salted water. Cook for about 5 to 10 minutes until cooked but slightly firm
Make the cheese sauce by melting butter in a pot over medium heat. Stir in flour,nutmeg and garlic powder . Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until bubbling. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in milk. Return to heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens slightly. Remove from heat.
Stir in just ½ of each of the cheeses meaning use ½ cup cheddar cheese, ¼ cup / mozzarella cheese 1 Tablespoon parmesan .
Season with salt and pepper and peri peri if using.
Drain the steamed vegetables in a colander and place in a lightly buttered ovenproof dish.
Fold in the cheese sauce and top with the remaining half of cheese.
Bake in the oven at 356°F / 180°C for about 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden brown. Serve warm
Serving: 0g | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 0mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg