Spiced Tomato Soup with Grilled smoked Mozzarella and Basil Sandwiches
- 5 ml / 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic add garlic to your taste preference
- ½ chopped onion
- 400 g chopped Italian tomatoes or 2 cans of chopped tomatoes
- 1 chopped celery optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon peri peri or cayenne pepper
- chilli flakes and freshly ground pepper to garnish
- FOR THE CHEESE AND BASIL GRILLED SANDWICH
- 2 slices brown or white bread
- ¼ cup grated smoked mozzarella
- 8 small fresh sweet basil leaves
Heat oil in a pot and add the chopped garlic,onion and celery.
Cook until soft, for about 10 minutes
Add in the chopped tomatoes or canned tomatoes and the peri peri spice or cayenne pepper and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes until softened and cooked. Stir occasionally.
Sprinkle in the salt and pepper.
Allow to cool for a while before blitzing in a blender until smooth.
Pour into a bowl and garnish with chilli flakes and freshly ground black pepper.
FOR THE CHEESE AND BASIL GRILLED SANDWICH
Add grated cheese and fresh basil leaves onto a slice of bread. Cover with the other slice and toast or grill each side on a pan until golden brown.
Serve immediately with the soup.
Let me know how it was in the comments below