Condensed Milk Coconut Tarts
If you like coconut desserts then you are going to love this Condensed Milk Coconut Tarts. A buttery shortcrust base filled with sweet coconut filling makes up this all-time classic dessert.
Servings: 12 Coconut tarts
FOR THE PASTRY
- ½ cup /125g butter or margarine
- ½ cup / 100g caster sugar
- ¼ cup / 60 ml buttermilk or 1 teaspoon / 5 ml lemon juice mixed into ¼ cup of milk
- 2 ¼ cups / 270g cake flour / all-purpose flour
- 1 level teaspoon / 4 grams baking powder
- ½ teaspoon / 2 ml salt
FOR THE FILLING
- 2 ½ cups / 150g desiccated / shredded coconut
- 2 Tablespoons cake OR all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅔ cup / 134g sugar SEE NOTE 1
- ½ cup / 125ml milk
- ½ cup / 120ml sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 Tablespoons / 60g melted butter
MAKING THE PASTRY
Start by making the pastry by creaming the sugar and butter.
Add the buttermilk and beat well until light and creamy
Sift in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Combine and handle lightly to form a soft dough. Place in the fridge or freezer for about 10 to 15 minutes while you make the filling.
THE COCONUT FILLING
Combine the desiccated coconut, flour and baking powder in a bowl and set aside.
In another bowl, add in the sugar, condensed milk, vanilla extract, melted butter and milk and mix well using a whisk. Mix in the coconut flour mixture into it and whisk well to combine
CUT AND SHAPE THE PASTRY INTO THE TART PAN
- I use just a 1/4 cup of sugar for these coconut tarts, but feel free to add a bit more if you prefer a sweeter bake.