Condensed Milk Chocolate Sheet Cake
This Condensed Milk Chocolate Sheet Cake covered in a silky, frosting makes an irresistibly delicious dessert.
Servings: 30 slices
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 cup butter
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup water with 1 teaspoon coffee dissolved into it See note 1
- 2 cups all purpose / cake flour
- 1 cup / 200g brown or white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda/ bicarbonate of soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup buttermilk See note 2
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE FROSTING
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup condensed milk
- 1 cup powdered/ icing sugar See note 3
TO MAKE THE CAKE
Grease and line a 9 x 13 inch / 23 x 33 cm cake pan with parchment/baking paper.
Melt the butter and then stir in the cocoa powder and water with 1 teaspoon of coffee dissolved in it. Bring this mixture to a boil, then remove from the heat.
In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda ( bicarbonate of soda) sugar, and salt.
Beat the cocoa mixture into the flour mixture, then stir in just ⅓ cup (102g) of the condensed milk, vanilla extract and buttermilk. Whisk until combined.
Pour the cake mixture into the prepared pan. Bake in a preheated oven of 350°F/ 170°C for 15 to 20 minutes, until the cake springs back when lightly touched. Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool in the pan.
In a small pan, melt the butter and stir in the cocoa powder and ¾ cup ( 230g) condensed milk. Stir in the powdered sugar/icing sugar and mix well. Pour the frosting over the cake and allow it to set before slicing.
If you find that you have extra frosting, don't throw it away. This frosting makes a great chocolate sauce for your ice cream. Store any extra frosting in an airtight container and use it over ice cream or in a milkshake.
- Coffee enhances the taste of the chocolate, and there is no taste of the coffee in the cake at all. However, if you do not want to use coffee, then just leave it out and add 1 cup / 125ml plain water instead.
- If you do not have buttermilk, then substitute it by adding 2 teaspoons of lemon juice or vinegar to ½ cup (125ml) full fat / full cream milk. Let it stand for 5 minutes before using it in place of the buttermilk.
- Add ½ cup extra powdered / icing sugar if you want the frosting to be thicker.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 183kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 164mg | Potassium: 89mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 272IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 1mg