Easy Pizza Muffins
Made with my 10 minute no knead no rise pizza dough, these Easy Pizza Muffins are perfect little snacks. Eaten warm or cold, they are great to pop into lunch boxes.
Servings: 12 Pizza Muffins
FOR THE PIZZA DOUGH
- ½ Tablespoon instant dry / fast acting yeast
- ½ Tablespoon sugar
- ¾ cup warm water 110°F / 32°C
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cornmeal / polenta or semolina for dusting baking trays. optional SEE NOTE 1
- Grated cheese and filling of your choice SEE NOTE 2
FOR THE PIZZA SAUCE ( NOTE - USE BOTTLED PIZZA SAUCE, YOUR OWN FAVORITE SAUCE, OR GIVE THIS RECIPE A TRY
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 small red or green bell pepper diced
- 1 can diced or pureed tomatoes or 3 tomatoes peeled and finely chopped or blended until smooth
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste OR thick tomato sauce / ketchup
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon mixed dried herbs use your favourite mix SEE NOTE 1
- Salt to taste
FOR THE PIZZA DOUGH
Start by making the pizza dough.
Warm the water in the microwave or kettle. It should not be boiling, just lukewarm. Add in the oil and mix
In a large bowl, sift in the all purpose / cake flour. Add in the instant / fast acting yeast, sugar and salt and stir to combine.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the warm water and oil mixture.
Using a spoon or your hands, just mix together, to form a soft dough. Do not knead the dough, just gather it together until it is well combined and soft.
Leave covered to rest for 10 minutes. During this time, I usually prepare the toppings and sauce for the pizza muffins. You can either use bottled pizza sauce, make your own, or try out my favorite pizza sauce recipe.
Grease the muffin tin with a little butter.
After 10 minutes, roll out your pizza dough to about 5mm thick. Using a 3 ½ inch / 10cm cutter, cut 12 rounds from dough. Line each mold of the greased pan with dough rounds, pushing into pan to come 3/4 up side of each mold.
FILLING AND BAKING THE PIZZA MUFFINS
Spread pizza sauce over base and sides of pizza bases. Fill halfway with grated cheese and filling of your choice. Finish by covering the filling with cheese and dried mixed herbs or ground black pepper
Bake in a preheated oven of 374°F / 190° C for 15 - 20 minutes until the crust is golden and the cheese has melted. Leave in the pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or cold.
MAKING THE PIZZA SAUCE
Pour the oil into a small saucepan and turn the stove on to medium heat. Add in the diced onions and chopped bell pepper. Cook for 2 minutes, and then add in the rest of the pizza sauce ingredients. Let this mix simmer on the stove for 10 minutes until reduced and thickened. Spread over pressed pizza dough and add grated cheese and toppings of your choice.
- I also like to dust a bit of polenta or semolina into the muffin tins. This further prevents the dough from sticking as it bakes. Using semolina or polenta is totally optional and can be left out. Just ensure that your muffin tin is greased with butter.
- In my recipe, I just filled the dough with homemade pizza sauce, grated cheddar, mozzarella, chopped sweet basil and cherry tomatoes. A simple filling, but really delicious.
Serving: 1pizza muffin | Calories: 94kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 146mg | Potassium: 22mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 17IU | Calcium: 3mg | Iron: 1mg